Fishermen - Endangered species ?

Abureelman

Regarding the recent discussions relating to platypus in opera nets, which would be a terrible thing if this does ever happen, I think we all need to be aware of the lengths that some groups and individuals will go to discredit fishing and fishermen. Not only do we have the likes of PETA etc to contend with, we also have some 'enemy's' closer to home.My background-- I am a taxi owner and driver and as most would know, we pick up all sorts of people and see them at their best, down to their worst. The one outstanding thing about cab-driving is if you play your cards right you can get information you would never get in mainstream life.

So,- The Story-

About 3 years ago I picked up a guy from Lota and proceeded to take him to the airport. I loaded a dive-bag in the boat and never one to miss an opportunity to get a 'fare' to spill their guts, I told him I do a bit of diving myself, which I do, by the way. Having heard a whisper about dirty diver tricks, I said I dived Flat-Rock and then proceeded to say It was better now those fisherman aren't allowed there anymore. He broke out in laughter and when asked what was so funny he said "well seeing your a diver and not a fisherman you should know that we hand fed a grey nurse with a gang hooked bait and sent the photo to the EPA, don't know if that's what got em to close it, but it could have helped. Now we can dive in peace and those bastards have to f**k-off somewhere else."

So, their will always be those with an agenda that involves stopping our passion, we need to be the most diligent of do-gooders whether it be not throwing ciggy-butts overboard to cleaning up after land-baseing etc etc etc. Their will always be someone pointing the finger and trying to get rid of us and the less ammo they have, the better

Archived