Brisbane River 23/10/10 BRC Pre Fish

Whiskers

With my first BRC coming up and having never fished the Brissy river it seemed like a good idea to get down there and check it out B) Target species being Bream.

Pino and I arrived at Colmslie around 5am and were met with glassed out conditions, This was looking good but my guts were singing a different tune and I gotta tell you I have never been to a public toilet in a park that plays classical music :lol: I nearly feel asleep on it :lol: So after I took care of business we were on the water heading for our first spot.

Gear of choice was light spin and little plastics and HB's and for the next couple of hours we worked every pillion, Rock and Snag between Colmslie and Bulimba creek for a handful of dropped fish and dust ups, Whilst flicking around Bulimba creek we ran into Paul Graveson from BnB he seemed to be going ok so that inspired us a little more but after another hour or so all hope was fading rapidly so a run up to the mouth was the best idea we could come up with.

This will prove to be a very good call.

We made it up to the mouth and sounded out a nice spot not to far off the shore and got stuck into it again now we were getting some attention but no hook ups it didn't take to long for the penny to drop and after seeing plastic arfter plastic come up missing it's rear end, we switched to blades and then all hell broke loose :evil:

The birds started gathering, The water started boiling up and as soon as the blade hit the water BANG! I'm on by this stage the birds had started there aerial assault it was all happening! Now would be a good time to mention all I was armed with was 4lb fins with 8lb leader but it was holding up and after 41/2 hours fishing we had finally had a 30cm+ tailor on board.

Quick pics and a good release and back into it, It was a fish a cast stuff now and this was the craziest fishing I had ever experienced it got to the point were we thought stuff the pics! We couldn't get the lures back in the water fast enough! A couple of surprise catches came out of the school with a nice 27cm Bream and a 30cm Squire coming to the party which was a real treat for me as I had only ever caught 1 Bream on lure and had never caught a Squire on lure so pretty stoked :woohoo: We also had a few BIG bust ups to but it was very hard to get upset with the fun we were having.

The amazing thing was just how many boats passed us with no interest whatsoever but we were defiantly not complaining;)

Now with the birds starting to leave and the hookups starting to thin out we graciously called it a day.

Probably not how we had planned our day and I'm honestly not sure if it has put us in any better a position for the comp but what a day!

post-5359-144598541363_thumb.jpg

My first Tailor for the day and first ever on lure

post-5359-144598541373_thumb.jpg

Pretty messed up but seemed to swim away very strong

post-5359-144598541376_thumb.jpg

1 of Pino's many fish

post-5359-14459854138_thumb.jpg

Breambo!

post-5359-144598541383_thumb.jpg

The Squire

post-5359-144598541387_thumb.jpg

Nasty little Choppers

post-5359-144598541389_thumb.jpg

Cheers For reading.

Cam

Good to see someone is getting on the fish at the mouth, but if it was a true BRC pre-fish, you might want to check the boundaries. Looks like you could be just outside, judging by the excellent pics. Good luck in the comp.

Steve

Yeah cheers mate I think we might have to try and squeeze in another fish this weekend if we can, maybe head upstream this time?

And cheers guys we worked so hard for so long but I guess this is a classic example of the only thing between a bad day and a good day is just one more cast:)

Cheers

Cam

hey guys, went for a trip to the ramp at pinkenba yesterday and there is still alot of drift wood about. Put it this way you have to clear room on the ramp to back your boat down! there are logs everywhere and the river is still very brown. hopefully it will flush properly for the BRC.

hey guys, went for a trip to the ramp at pinkenba yesterday and there is still alot of drift wood about. Put it this way you have to clear room on the ramp to back your boat down! there are logs everywhere and the river is still very brown. hopefully it will flush properly for the BRC.

Yeah we certainly did see quite a lot of big logs floating around but being my first time down there I was taking it pretty easy anyway.

Cam

Archived