Day of firsts

The Mad Hughesy

i had a few firsts today as it was my maiden voyage on my new kayak. the weather was nothing special with constant rain and overcast conditions. having never caught a fish on a hardbody lure, i was keen to catch something. i launched at bald hills boat ramp at 5:45 throwing a baby crank under the mangroves with no luck for around 35mins. then woof! the lure gets smashed by what feels like a good fish. after a few minutes of fighting i was dissapointed to see a 40cm catty breach the surface.

i moved spots to where i find a nice deep looking spot along the bank where i landed 2 nice bream. one going 27cm and the other going 25cm. for me it was a long time goal fianlly fulfilled catching a bream on a lure. 3 casts later i throw the lure right on a snag and get absolutle smashed! the fish goes straight back into the snag and bust me off. my guess is either a big bream or a jack. with a new lure sx40 slapped on, i had 2 missed hookups with no more lure action for the morning. i soaked some bait for 30mins with only another catfish caught.

with hunger pains kicking in i called it a morning and paddled home. i cant wait to get the kayak out again. sorry there are no pics but it was raining quit heavily and i didnt feel like taking my DSLR out with me. always next time though!!

Archived