Kayak/canoes

Ash

I am looking into getting myself a double person canoe or kyakso i can hit the fresh water seen, and even some of the estuaries around.

Does anyone have any thoughts on brands or types to look for. Do i go for ones that are set up for fishing, or should i set it up myself.

Basically, any tips or hints as to what to go for.

Mate has a canadian canoe, 15 or 16foot (its a 3 man canoe) but with electric motor, batteries, fishing gear etc, it is comfy for 2.

With your little un, I suggest an outrigger for stability would be a wise investment, also a surfski type paddle rather than a standard canoe paddle.

They also do a flat based slightly wider version, the Pro who does fishing charters on Hinze dam has them, they are pretty good as well, more stable, but an outrigger once again would make your missus a lot less nervous if your taking daughter! (If you look through some of my early photo's in the lakes section, thats what we are in.)

Thanks feral, to be honest my little one probably wont be in the canoe for a while. I getting a tinnie and thats what ill take her out into. Whats the price range of those canadians u were talking about. And would an electric, about 40Lb do to put around? If u get the chance feral, do u reckon u could take some photos of your canoe and post them for me?

There is a joint I pass on the way to work sometimes, they flog what looks like a small fibreglass boat, probably around 8 foot, reasonable beam, with two seats, for $600. Mate is thinking about going in for a look. It just looks like a small fibreglassing factory. Its on Lipscombe road at Deception bay, just near the lights at the Mariner rd intersection. (west side of road, they have one leaning against the fence with the $600 sign on it)

If anyone is interested I will try and remember to take a camera and get a photo or two.

my mate tom had one with a little 2hp honda on the back and outriggers before me and him got mowed down by and 8m 150hp in nudgee canal...

it was a pretty awesome canoe for inshore, estuary and would have been good for fresh if we had used it there...

i would invest in an outrigger as some canoes are simple to capsize... also i think an electric would be an awesome option for fresh water creeks and the like...

feral... its difficult paddling using a surf ski styled paddle and outriggers.. if your going to buy outriggers id say go with the single paddle

as for canoes... id say get one thats designed for fishing... they have rod holders for slow trolling and all the basic necesities for fishing

troy

the only way to test would be too get the guy to show you. I remmeber this guy who made them would test each one. i didnt know him personally but i saw him at bulimba creek testing one. Also look up the yellow pages theres alot of canoe/ kyack people there and i also saw anaconda was selling them. make sure they have a back rest, trust me u need one.

DAVE

Archived