Heading to Chinderah

max pwr

Scored a villa at Hacienda holiday park for saturday night, got the one right at the mouth of the little marina so plan is to sink some coldies and pretty much fish right off the deck of the villa :cheer: Sounds tough I know..... going straight from work so I can't be arsed trying to get live worms or anything, thought I'd take some prawns and mullet. Never fished that area before so not sure what bait will be effective I can get before I head down. The park does liscences so at least that's handy, bummer I can't use my cast net there though :(

good jack and cod down their, ( good jack and cod down their ) also top bream and lizard area. try barneys point as well, a top spot but you loose lots of tackle.

try and catch some herring on jigs on the old bridge then take them back to where you are staying.

My Grandparents owned a caravan there when I was a kid so fished it heaps, and all I can say is GET SOME SQUIRT WORMS! There used to be (and I imagine still would be) heaps of squirt worms on the banks of the little inlet. Easy to get a heap with a yabbie pump or stomping on a tin can if you pick the tide right, and used to get seriously HUGE whiting casting out at the mouth of the inlet during the day. Also used to get the seriously big tings at night on very light gear flicking squirt worms about 10 foot out from the bank (where it drops off), so would probably be a pretty cool night session sitting on the banks of that little inlet throwing down some coldies, whilst soaking squirt worms in close. If you throw the squirt worms right out far at night you just get catfish eels. Also used to quite commonly get big blackfish up hard to the rock wall along the front on squirt worms at dawn and dusk.

Usually got good bream and choppers passing through in the low light hours along the front too. Also used to get the odd big bream during the day on good fresh bait like mullet fillet, on the flood tide casting out as far as you can, at night they hold close to the rocks. But I agree with madmullet, reckon go down to the fishing platform at Barneys point (its a leftover part of the old bridge) and jig some herring, chuck em in a bucket with aerator, and take them back to the caravan park. If the oldtimer blackfish fishermen aren't shoulder to shoulder blocking you, reckon you'd have to pick something up doing a walk drift along the length of the rock wall with a live herring.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to write that reply Tiotony, much appreciated and although I wasn't going to bother I'll get some worms after all, see how they go. I've got some gulp bloodworms as well, reckon they'd be any good down there?

Yeah take a yabbie pump and get some squirt worms and reckon your laughing.

Was thinking actually some softies could be the go in the little inlet, no current so you could use super light weight jig heads making them extra attractive. There used to be seagrass beds in that inlet, surely a plastic casted along the edges of them would get snaffled. Dunno what its like now though, havent been there in years.

I'll let you know after the weekend, got plenty of sp's and light jigheads ready to go and I'll post up some pics.....might be interesting for you to see how the place has changed. My nan owned a house on the Nerang river now it's bulldozed and some big fancy duplex where it once was.....best memories of my life fishing at my nan's house. Now I can't bear to see how it looks.....

Out of interest (and also because I've been offshore for a month and have severe fishing withdrawl :( ), just google earthed the tweed, and it looks like the inlet at the Hacienda is all rock wall along the banks now, meaning no sand/mud for squirt worms! Could maybe still get some along the beach going upriver from the fishing platform- maybe take a look at about half tide? If you havent got them before just pump where you see their casing tube thingies sticking out of the sand.

But you said you are time restricted going down straight from work, I reckon if you bought some beach or blood worms on the way and quietly fished them real light in close at night (whilst indulging in a few beers of course!), you'd still get a few big whiting.

Out of interest (and also because I've been offshore for a month and have severe fishing withdrawl :( ), just google earthed the tweed, and it looks like the inlet at the Hacienda is all rock wall along the banks now, meaning no sand/mud for squirt worms! Could maybe still get some along the beach going upriver from the fishing platform- maybe take a look at about half tide? If you havent got them before just pump where you see their casing tube thingies sticking out of the sand.

But you said you are time restricted going down straight from work, I reckon if you bought some beach or blood worms on the way and quietly fished them real light in close at night (whilst indulging in a few beers of course!), you'd still get a few big whiting.

Severe fishing withdrawl :dry: :lol::lol::lol: Where are you off shore at ?

Is a mud patch near the pontoon on the other side of the inlet from where your villa is. I stay down there a fair bit and love it. There is a rock wall along the front of the van park where you can fish or off each corner of the inlet (I think you can get right to the corner on the side you are on, but its where 2 van park meets so you might not)

Fish and chip straight outside the entrance to the van park and do good chips (and fish :-) ).

Will try and dig up an old thread I did for down there.

Also known as 'fishitis' Kiwiboy!

Currently on the north west shelf gasfields in 40 knot winds, so not comfortable :sick:

Getting off on saturday so will be fishing sunday.

O well must be good $$$$$$$...Have a safe trip back home ;):)

Archived