Chasing Barra in the NT

dejavou

Morning all.

I'm off to the NT again for work and hopefully I will get the chance to go chasing some barra in the Victoria River and it surrounding waterways. Having never fished for barra before, I am hoping the brains trust can point me in the right direction with regards to the gear I already own.

I have a couple of light setups, a Jarvis Walker rod/real 2-4kg light/medium action with a fishunter 350 reel, a Shimano 2-4kg rod with a Shimano 2500FB reel, a Jarvis Walker Royale rod 5-8kg and the matching reel RG2 3500, and lastly a Shimano Watchline 6-8kg rod with an AX 6000FA reel.

I have no idea if any of this gear is even suitable but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was talking to one bloke at BCF in Darwin a while ago and he was saying that braid is better for chasing barra. Is this the case??

And lastly, can anyone recommend some good lures??

TIA,

Jas

Most of the barra I catch in and around Rockhampton are on 10lb pre-test PE line with either a 10 or 20lb flouro carbon leader on a Daiwa Sol 6-10lb rod and Daiwa Heartland 2000 reel.

Although, at certain times I go through near 100 dollars of lures a week...

I'd recomend some 30lb braid, 40lb leader and a collection of Squidgie slick rigs in varying sizes.

Slow roll these - constant, very slow retrieve.

And some hardbodies.

I usually use shallow divers as I fish some very shallow water.

I like Tropic Angler "Poddy" and some of the Rapala Xraps.

I twitch these. 2 or 3 hard jabs of the rod tip, then pause for up to five seconds, don't be afraid to let the lure float to the top and sit there for a bit, wind in the slack, repeat.

I have even caught barra dead sticking a floating hardbody.

Oh, and get some skitter pops. And some bubble pops.

Archived