Completely new to freshwater fishing

Miegs

Hi all,

I'm originally from SA and the only freshwater fishing I did down there was for carp (which I's happy doing because they make good crab bait ;) ). I've been living up here in QLD for one and a half years and have just moved into North Lakes. I've done a bit of research and see that Lake Samsonvale and Lake Kurawongah aren't too far away, but see that posts are from boats. Are theses 2 spots worthwhile fishing from the shore? and how would I got about doing it? (I'm happy just catching anything from carp to tilapia but would like to catch natives too eventually).

On another point, what's the best way to catch shrimp? I'm a school teacher a student brought in a couple bass to put in our tanks in the science lab. I've been feeding them feeder fish from an aquarium shop, but at $12 a bag :whistle: , they're turning into an expensive class pet and thought if I could catch shrimp (or other small fish?) that might be the way to go.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Miegs

hi meigs, if you get a cheap bait net from rays tents or the tackle shop in carseldine for like about $8 i use sausage & or dove soap and throw it in the creek overnight i usually have a dozen or so shrimp to go fishing with.

north pine dam and the surroiunding creeks are pretty good to fish in.

always up for a fishing companion.

Good fish can be taken from both lakes from the shore, but be wary of the bass closed season for Kurwongbah. Even though the bass don't breed in there its not on the exempt list.

Samsonvale is open to bass during the closed season but you'll need an SIP to fish it.

The fishing used to be amazing out there before the water came up.

I'll be hitting some old spots landbased at Samsonvale pretty soon to see how I go.

To fish Samsonvale simply get a good pair of boots and start walking the banks until you find the fish. Hard work and exploring can pay off.

Have a look at the PRFMA website for some good info and hints.

Please be aware that Kurwongbah is infested with noxious weed cabomba so do not use any pots that you have usen in Kurwongbah in NPD.

Also the use of soap as bait is a big no no there are enough pollutants in the water already.

Cheers

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Miegs, with the tank bass I would try to get them feeding on fish pellets suitable for native fish, and then supplement these with live feeder fish and/or shrimp, crickets, etc when you can. That's what I do with mine. He just eats way too many fish and shrimp for me to keep up otherwise, and like you said it becomes too expensive. Not only that but even though I could catch enough of my own shrimp and little fish and bugs to keep him going I don't like constantly raping my local creeks of all that aquatic life - I feel I should leave plenty for others and for when I want to do a bit of bait fishing. Your Bass should take to pellets easily enough, but of course try to supplement them with live food as often as is practicable, cos I'm sure that is better for them.

It also sounds like you're paying a bit too much for your feeder fish - I get a bag of 50 for about $7, and often they give me up to 150 for the same price. That's at a pet shop on Osborne Rd Mitchelton.

With the bank fishing in the dams; I'm by no means an expert and this is mainly my own judgement... but during the winter months the bass naturally try to swim downstream to the brackish water to spawn, and even when they are trapped in the dams they still have this tendancy. Therefore you're less likely to find them in the upper reaches of the dams and the feeder creeks above them. Even though you're allowed to fish these feeder creeks in closed season I feel you're mostly wasting your time there during winter.

Golden Perch I believe swim upstream in Spring to spawn, so again you're not too likely to find them in the upper reaches during winter.

Good luck.

-Steve.

Archived