Coke opposes bottle refund scheme

John

This email came from Clean Up Australia Day.

Don’t let Coke sell us down the river

"Coca-Cola should do the right thing” was just released on Youtube.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqNWfbOMqd0

It clearly shows how Coca-Cola is standing between all of us and a solution for bottles in the environment.

Clean Up Australia Day volunteers consistently report beverage related rubbish is a major problem. In 2010, six out of the top ten rubbish items removed were beverage related. South Australia has proven that a 10cent deposit on drink containers is the solution - their recycling rates are 85%, versus the national average of 35%.

So why does Coca-Cola continue to fight the introduction of a container refund system?

Why did Coca-Cola threaten the Northern Territory with legal action upon the announcement of the introduction of a Container Deposit Scheme?

Why can Coca-Cola not accept what is so obvious to all of us?

Watch “Coca-Cola should do the right thing” now!

Share it with your friends, family and colleagues. The more people who like and comment on it on YouTube the clearer the message to Coca-Cola and its allies will be.

Could anyone see a bottle in the bird di-section ? :lol:

I don't understand why Coke is opposed really.

I do understand that Coke is not the one that chooses to throw the bottle in the river though. Maybe this is the case of finding the easiest one to blame ..... :unsure:

Manufacturers will generally push back against any deposit, tax, etc. that will raise the cost of their product without increasing profit margins. Very similar to tobacco taxes in the US. Governments (local, state, federal) learned that raising taxes on a pack of cigarettes as little as 3% caused the quit ratio to increase by up to 10% because people just feel the price is not worth it.

The same holds true for beverages but, because they are much less addictive than nicotine, could have an even higher impact.

Not saying it isn't a good idea, but I can definitely see why Coca Cola would push back against it.

I remember growing up with the cash for cans. That was a great way for the junior footy clubs to earn some money.

Hope Qld gets on board as we obviously need to do more to help clean up our environment and waterways with the added benefit alot of community groups can use it to fundraise

they do it in europe (holland i know for sure ) where you take your empty bottles back to the s/market and they give a docket with an amount on it that gets deducted from your shopping bill..... they do it with crates of empty beer bottles too...7 - 8 empty crates of beer bottles is equivalent to 1 crate of full beer bottles .. worked for me when i was there.... so much easier i think than lettin people pick em up on clean up Aust. day

I remember when Coke came in 1 litre glass bottles and we used to get 20 cents for every empty we took to the local shops or where ever you brought coke from.

Kept us kids busy making money and stopped a lot of bottles getting smashed with rocks.

Mind you back then Coke could clean a penny like new, dissolve a tooth in next to no time and you could feel it eating out the back of your throat when you had a cold.

bloody hell your old

use to collect as many as we could

get another bottle and some lollies (2 for 1 cent)

i remember when you could scull a litre and burb for the next ten minutes

better still get it as cold as possible and get brain freeze and then let a ripper burb

don't drink the crap any more

rather have a beer

Archived