Karratha Barra

PilbaraBrad

this is a report from my solo trip before i left the pilbara, i had to squeeze in one last barra session before i left

great times thats for sure

cheers

Brad

Geez, i tell you what it is good to be back in the Pilbara after all of this time away. Well it was mid week and i decided that i was going to go up a creek in the local area for what will be the last time for a while. I couldnt convince webby to chuck a sicky so i was on my own, which i kind of liked. was awesome sitting there last night watching the sun set on the local creek for the last time on my own while enjoying a cold beer. Anyway i managed to get into the creek just in time, was a little to neapish for my liking, this generally means the cat fish are around in plague proportions. I had to work pretty hard to find a pattern that was working but alas after finding the fish on the troll (and dropping my fist fish) they always strike when your rubbing sunscreen on your face dont they... Anyway i set about collecting some livies, i got about a dozen whiting in the first cast and decided that would be enough. I seetled down to soak a few, after dropping another fish early and landing a few of those pesky catties i connected to a decent barra of around 81cm. Stoked, in the creek for less than an hour and i have already seen three barra, one of them was in the boat for a photo before release. IMG_1125-1.jpgIMG_1097.jpgIMG_1088.jpg number one I enjoyed another cold beer and some afternoon tea before the next fish, it was very similar in size to the first and again it was released. b98091417.jpg Number two The sun was setting and my bait was dwindling. I managed another two barra before the night was out, one again around the 82cm mark and the other about 61, both were released. IMG_1089.jpgIMG_1090.jpg Number three IMG_1099.jpgIMG_1101.jpg Number4 I had another beer then rolled out the swag on the deck of the boat for a good night sleep. I had planned to get up and fish the 4am low but i decided it was a lot more inviting to stay in my swag, especially since i already had a few fish in the boat. I got up just before the sun came up to throw a few poppers around on dawn. I had a massive barra strike on the first cast, it came right out of the water but didnt hook up. Next cast i got another stike, however again it was a pasky catfish, yukkkkkkk.. IMG_1102.jpg Yuk.... IMG_1109.jpg nice morning Anyway i decided to call it quits, there was next to no wind and i hit 42 knots on the way home in my boat. Take my barra tally to 48 for the season so far, 76 for the boat. Pretty happy considdering i havnt fished for barra for the best part of 6 weeks. By by k-town, ill miss you

Archived