Closest I got to that area was Hamelin Station for a couple of days staying in the shearers sheds, and that was in 1979, my girlfriend and I at the time drove up in a 2WD from Perth during winter, can't remember even what her car was but it was a small rear wheel drive and we managed. The conditions have probably changed heaps since then, but I didn't get to go to Steep Point which was much further West then North. I do remember there was a lot of sand/gravel road just to get to the station. Maybe we were just lucky. As Mangajack said, try Youtube.

V6 all wheel drive is great for towing and on maintained dirt roads but not for tracks.

That being said from the look of the road on YouTube I'd drive a Rav4 down there. I wouldn't drive much past the end of the track unless it was good conditions and I wouldn't take any risks.

Just don't flog the truck and remember it's your ticket home.

I'd definitely take a compressor, tire deflator, sand trax and a snatch strap to get you out of any trouble.