windy and slightly damp session, but well worth it

lcpunk

So one of my good mates who also uses the forum (user:Binnzy) gave me a bell last night as the storms were brewing over the coast and convinced me to go for a quick flick..

I was pretty much deadset on staying inside after so many quiet sessions lately but after a quick look at the radar decided to go out anyway.

We headed off to one of our local spots to grab some livies, the water was choppy and the cast net wasn't really getting many results. We eventually got some reasonable herring and got the lines in the water while chasing more.

About 5 minutes after I got my first line in, something smashed my rod and took off, I wrestled it for a few minutes and then it turned into dead weight, when i got it to the surface i saw it was a healthy sized bullie, but with just 12lb mono on, one decent head shake and it was gone.

For the next few hours we caught very few livies apart from the odd gar and a few missed hookups and we were about to call it quits. Until we saw a school of mullet directly below us. Filling the bucket, we decided we would have one last crack at another spot.

So we sat, and waited for another 3 hours, with only a couple of undersized bream to show for our efforts when all of a sudden, Binnzy's line went bezerk.. it was peeling off line and running straight for open water. I called a jack but quickly decided the way it was running it was more likely to be a gt or something.

After about a 15 minute fight, we got a glimpse, and there after 2 years of both of us chasing one, was the glorious flash of red.

A 2kg+ 55cm Jack!

So for 6 hours of nothing, one of us finally netted one of the angry bastards.

Well worth it!

post-8613-144598759191_thumb.jpg

Well done mate

Thats a Very nice jack.

Your photo gives away too much of the spot. For a person who fishes most of the gold coat bridges its not to figure out where it is . Ihave caught a few jacks from that exact spot too lol. Might give it a try again soon. Theres a big resisdent jack there i got smoked so many times by it

Shane

unfortunatly being my first jack I was too keen to taste what I had heard are one of the best eating fish species so he came home with me. Funny thing happened as I was walking to my car with jack still hanging from rod and a grin from ear to ear, fisheries were driving past and stopped.( first and only time I have ever crossed paths with them) The guy said hey I think that he just caught a jack and they just wanted to congratulate me and said welcome to the club!

Archived