Looking to explore the upper river (boat)

ROB-80E

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rob, and over the last few months have got back into the fishing scene after being away for too long (I grew up in Forster/Tuncurry on NSW Mid-North Coast). I do have to thank my great partner who has given us the motivation to get out there, due to watching too many iFish episodes. :lol:

Anyway, we've bought a great little 3.9m Quintrex Explorer with a 15hp Yammy on the back and a Watersnake on the front. The boat has been fantastic and we've already landed plenty of flatties, bream and whiting, plus a few nice surprises like a juvenile snapper (35cm), juvenile barracuda, and a shovelnose. So far we've been exploring between Jacobs Well and the Pin, and really haven't ventured too far from there yet, because we've been so successful. :cheer:

So....because I live at Springfield, and work in the city, the brissy river is something that I'd like to explore and see what I can chase and pull out. Plus, when coming home of an afternoon, crossing the Centenary bridge, the river just looks so inviting with it's super smooth waters on sunset.

I've already done a little bit of reading on what can be caught, and at this stage, I'm not too interested in targeting the bullies (although I will as it gets warmer and I want to have some fun). Is it really worth my while putting the boat in at Goodna or Jindalee and having a cast around? Are many of you eating the fish caught in the river? Being originally from not around here, when I talk to people, there still seems to be a lot of stigma around the quality of eating fish out of the river.

I'm looking forward to trying the river mouth one day too. Although I think I'll have my work cut out of me in my little tinny.

Anyway, thanks for having me.

595f787a.jpg

cd084da1.jpg

G'day Rob and welcome to the site :)

It is definitely worth your while exploring the entire river, bream and flathead are abundant through the entire salt/brackish sections and some very good threadfin have come from well up the river too. Of course there are the bullies and when you decide you'd like to have a crack at them you won't be short on spots to target them, they're literally everywhere. It looks like you have a great little rig there and it will be perfect for the river, if you don't have a sounder then I highly recommend you get one to find deeper holes and underwater structure. As for eating fish from the river, go for it, the river is a lot cleaner than it once was and I would not hesitate to eat fish from it.

Good luck and again welcome, maybe one day you'll see the light and purchase a yak, then you'll really start to have fun :lol::P

Cheers,

Ant.

Thanks for the welcome, guys, and for the info.

So, by the looks of it, I'll probably be heading up the river some time soon. :) So, do you find that SP's still work well, or are deep diving hard bodies a better way to go? I guess that depends on what fish i'm targeting though, hey?

Ant, my boat does have a sounder already, so scanning the bottom was one of the first things I was going to do.

As for heading up the river mouth, my plan would probably be to put the boat in at Boggy Creek. When I plan I going that way, i'll put a post up for sure to see who wants to tag along and share some secrets for the free ride. ;)

Archived