Moreton Bay in next few weeks?

thomasando

Hi all.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, new here!

I've just purchased my first boat, but have had my license for some time and got a bit of experience in other boats.

I'm heading to Straddie on Friday for 2 weeks and have booked the boat onto the barge. I have been a passenger in a boat up the top end of Straddie quite a few times (though not for a number of years), but never been out myself.

Given all this poor weather, I'm wondering whether there might be too much debris in the water to have a real enjoyable time in the boat. I'm not going to be too disappointed if I don't catch anything much, although it would of course be nice!

The boat is a 4.4m (14.5ft) Monark Scorpion, fibreglass, with a 75HP Chrysler pushing it along. Goes great, very well kept boat and super happy with my purchase.

I'd be looking to stay around Amity for the most part (house is at Amity), maybe a run over to Moreton if the weather allows and a run out to Peel (from Dunwich) is also in the back of my mind as something I'd like to do.

How do the collective minds (and experiences) here think these areas might look after the flooding? Is it likely to be significantly affected (in terms of debris in the water) by all the flood runoff in these areas? Is it still worth taking the boat? I'd be ok with it sitting in the yard for the first week but much longer and the extra $180 to take it on the barge will hurt!

Tom

Wow the extra 180 hurts ay, if staying at amity might of been easier just to drive the boat over and leave the trailer at the Cleveland storage. Anyhow if the last big flood is anything to go by the fishing will be great. Personally in my post flood trips around Mud Island, Macleay and the bay in general we had some good sessions with plenty of Bream, squire/snapper, Grassies and tuna, so hopefully this round will be much the same if not better. Unfortunately I'm stuck in NQ at the moment so will miss out.

Yep, killer! I did consider driving the boat over, and if we were camping I probably would, but our house is around the top end and I didn't want to leave it in the water for the fortnight!

Sounds like your experience last time was pretty positive - gotta love getting a heap of fish! Not much debris, pontoons, fuel bowsers etc floating around waiting for the unsuspecting skipper?

Fair enough, I would be uneasy having the boat out of sight to. There wasn\'t a great deal of junk floating around from memory apart from a few logs and the normal sorta rubbish that flushes out of creeks into the river then into the bay. I think after 2 weeks you should have no dramas, having said that always keep an eye out.

i think it will be fine, not as bad as the last flood and probably a lot less debris. having said that things like logs and smaller debris could be around but if you keep to a safe speed and be watchful you should be ok.

Having said that the wind has dropped out a fair bit for later this week, if it stays down and the weather is ok i'll probably head over to moreton or something along those lines for theday on the weekend

Archived