Hervey Bay 2013 Longtail Tuna + video

bunchofbananas

30/3/13 We fished with Tri who has taken over the reins of Bargy from Hervey Bay Fraser Island Guided Fishing in his 6 metre Galeforce. The main aim was to target long tail tuna on the western side of Fraser Island in Platypus Bay. The choice of fishing style was to flick soft plastics like the Zmans 5 inch jerk shads (in pink and electric chicken) and some rare snap backs in pink that my brother had hiding in his tackle bag.We used 30lb braid and 30-40lb leader, 3/8 7/0 jig heads. It started off windy and wet but fined up later in the day. The tuna action was firing and we were getting double and triple hook ups a plenty but losing most to the sharks. I myself lost the first three in a row to sharks at an average of 5-10 minute battles.

post-10628-144598937326_thumb.jpg

We also chucked out some cotton cordell poppers resulting in explosive takes on the surface. One time I threw out a cast and landed straight in a Lt's mouth and tangled with a bird at the same time. Within seconds a hungry rogue shark smashed the fluttering bird on the surface leaving a massive boil on the surface and me with a cut leader.

post-10628-144598937337_thumb.jpg

The biggest Lt went 13kg and 110cm which took 30 minutes to get him on the boat and lucky for me no sharks.

post-10628-144598937345_thumb.jpg

post-10628-144598937354_thumb.jpg

Although Bargy was a legend (and will always be) Tri has stepped up to the plate and has shone through as a guide to be fishing with. Give him a go as he was a pleasure to be with and will definitely go with him again.

I did manage to create a unique video of our day trip so stay tuned.

tight lines Kev

Shame about the sharks!

We were fishing much lighter gear with longer fights and only lost one on the weekend with Andrew Chorley from Hervey Bay Guided Fly & Sportsfishing (used to work for Bargy). They must have been following you! Cheers!

Some great fish.

Shame about the sharks!

We were fishing much lighter gear with longer fights and only lost one on the weekend with Andrew Chorley from Hervey Bay Guided Fly & Sportsfishing (used to work for Bargy). They must have been following you! Cheers!

Some great fish.

Same with us. Lighter gear + less sharks. Well for me anyway... I only got sharked once, ted got sharked 3 times i think.

Archived