new trailer

jnewy

just had a trailer made a 8by5 foot got it home and would you beleave the tyres are 11 years old with bugger all tread left on them. so i rang them up and was told that i have to pay more for new tyres.what a joke after paying 1750 for the trailer are 11 year old tyres even legal to sell :angry: :sick:

:angry: It must be the done thing these days, I got a new gal 7x5 trailer about 18 months ago, or should I say a new trailer with tyres & rims straight from the wreakers with a bit of touch up paint on the rims. :blush:

not 100% sure mate but no I don't think they are aloud to sell 11 year old tyres. I think 6 years is the max.

I have heard of this too. It might be that people are upgrading their tyres to mag wheels and the proprieter keeps the original stock wheels and sells them on. Usually this is done at a dealership level though, so that a person can purchase a new car with their choice of alloy wheels.

In any case, the seller/manufacturer shouls be required by law to disclose that the tyres at least are not new... tyres are considered part of a trailer upon sale and if the trailer is new then the tyres should be too unless disclosed.

On the upside, a characteristic of older tyres is that they harden a bit, a quality that I like in a trailer tyre, however after a long time they can start to crack and need replacing.

I would ask the bloke to replace the tyres for you and maybe you can negotiate a new light truck tyre in the process.

Been doing it for years, I can remember getting a new trailer with second hand tyres and rims 20 years ago, a nathan trailer from memory. They just source the wheels from the wreckers.

I left them on for a little while, then went and got a cheap set of new tyres, cost about $50 each.

Archived