Brisbane River

Convict

The last time I went fishing was in 1990 in the Murrumbidgee river at Hay, NSW when I was working as a stationhand. I am now unemployed, living in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, and using public transport to get around until I find another job. Here are some questions. At what point in the Brisbane River does the freshwater meet the saltwater? What sort of fish am I likely to catch by the Storey Bridge over the Brisbane River, which is roughly my closest point of access to the river? Which is the best option: bait or lures? Thanks

Welcome to the site Convict.

I am far from an expert in fishing the Brisbane River but a few answers to your questions:

- Fresh doesn't meet salt until you get up towards Colleges Crossing Ipswich way. Its tidal a long way up.

- Around the city reaches of the river you will catch anything from threadfin salmon, bull sharks, mulloway, bream, flathead, grunter bream, stingrays, catfish, mullet, pike eels and estuary cod. I am sure there are more species but they are the ones I have caught or have heard of. If you go a bit further upstream I have heard of cobia being caught around indoroopily. :evil:

- Lures and dead baits will work but live baits are definitely your best bet, especially if fishing land based. A castnet is well worth the investment. Especially if you are after threadies or jew.

Archived