Golden Beach Caloundra

shamus

I'll probly just be chucking some bait in.... I'll be targeting fish..seriously, I'm just going to relax on the beach so just want to know what bait would give me the best chance of actually catching something.... I think whiting and flathead would be what they catch up there, might use soft plastics as well, maybe?

mate pump some yabbie up towards the mouth of bells creek and fish there. loads of big whiting and brean on the flats (especially after dark) and big flathead sit on the dropoffs out from the mouth. the military jetty and board walk can also produce some good fish. I got a 44cm cod at the boardwalk a few nights back on a plastic and a 52cm flatty at the military jetty. some good fish being caught from the rocks at kings and moffats too. and if you want to get some good bream on plastics head over to the mooloolah river (about 15 mins drive) and fish around the pro boats

Lee

Lee

for the amount bait costs these days you would be best off getting a pump and getting your own, but if you really cant be bothered try some prawns or squid, I dought you will get much though, the fish around caloundra are very bait shy at times especially dead 3 month old frozen stuff. A well presented yabbie on a very light leader and tiny sinker will produce the best results. if you really dont want to pump some spend a little more money at the bait and tackle shop at caloundra and get some live blood worms, thats the only bait worth using that you can buy

Lee

Live Worms....expensive but good.

3 worms = about $7.00-$10.00!

If you are keen on giving soft plastics a go, \"gulp!\" make a worm immitation which has been popular with the whiting fishos, you can cut it into smaller pieces and fish it like you would bait, or you can work it like a lure. $10 pack get s you about 8 \"worms\"

Strips of squid might be worth a try too, it will stand up to the pickers better than frozen prawns or whitebait etc.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Rocket

Their is a baitshop at Military Jetty that sells live worms and all other bait. Live worms are probably good but the tides are affected at Golden Beach and their is a HUGE Sandbank probably 100metres from Shore that you can walk to at Lowtide. Its like 1-1.5metres through their and people swim their alot so i dont know how you will go.

here's an update: I caught nothing!!! there's all these little puffer or toad fish or something that pick bait to peices... they'll have a go at anything, at one stage they were even striking at my sinkers!!! On another note, we were walking in the shallow's near the mangroves and saw lots of these little green worm things, up to about 5\" long and probly 2-3mm wide. What are they and could you use them as bait?

Archived