rayke1938

Had a really good day at the western arm today. The forecast was calling up to 25k of wind but as i was suffering severe withdrawal symptoms we decided to go regardless.  Met up with the 2 Waynes at nerang fair and arrived at the dam to find aprox 10k breeze and it did not get over this morning with quite a bit of the time glassed out.

Nothing at the twisted tree but we did ok at the pink and the plastic bag tree with double and triple hook ups.

Quite a few tandans but they fight well. Most of the bass in high 30s with a few much better.

Thanks for the company Wayne and Wayne.

Cheers

Ray

P2100129 (640x480).jpg

P2100131 (640x480).jpg

P2100132 (640x480).jpg

P2100133 (640x480).jpg

P2100130 (640x480).jpg

I was speaking to David Roberts from SEQ water on Monday about the effectiveness of the fish ladder on the Hinze. I was amazed at the number of toga that have been moved back into the dam,They destroy all barred grunter that attempt to move up or down and there have been a lot of tilapia that have attempted to migrate upstream. The numbers of fish attempting to migrate vary and always increase when there is an inflow into the dam. He was unable to give me data on all species as there are no records kept.

Cheers

Ray

17 hours ago, Glenn S said:
1 hour ago, Glenn S said:
1 hour ago, Glenn S said:

Can the Tilapia make their way to the dam? surely not?

Impossible . The majority of dams have to allow an environmental flow  and the newer ones have to have a method of allowing fish movements. The hinze has cages in ponds at the inlet and exits of the flow pipes. The fish attempting to migrate are caught in these cages and are manually sorted and then transported. When there is an overflow event or course this is bypassed but it would be impossible for fish to make their way upstream due to the height of the dam.

Cheers

Ray

Cheers, Glenn.

Can the Tilapia make their way to the dam? surely not?

Cheers, Glenn.

Good to see them biting Ray, I've struggled hard for the past 6 months using lures (seem to be getting more saratoga than bass). Cant seem to crack a pattern on them! Gonna have to bust out the shrimp traps again soon i think!

Cheers, Glenn.

Archived