Cracker Pine Bream Session 27.2.16

curranboy99

Hello all again

A fishing report for my last fishing session on the muddy pine river today.

I left home at 8.15am on the way to BCF to get a packet of hooks and sinkers then drive off to DWB which I got to my spot at 8.50am. The rig of choice was 3lb braid mainline -> (7') 4lb fluoro leader -> running sz00 ball sinker -> sz1 gamakatsu octopus hook and the baits were FRESH (eating grade) mullet strips and chicken breast strips. The conditions were a 12.00pm high tide, 12knot SE wind. and the water was muddy.

I was casting up tide and after an hour of pickers destroying my bait I hooked up to a small bream which got landed nearly instantly after hook up and it was a tiny 17cm yellowfin bream I keep fishing and fishing and the next 2 hours after that I smashed another 4 bream in the 15cm - 23cm size range. Then started flicking some z-man grubz around the pylons without any interest. So I changed back to bait and made a cast with a mullet strip which my bait about a 2 feet out from the boardwalk then I had the classic tap, tap, tap, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz which I lifted the rod when the line came screaming off the reel to set the hooks and after a decent battle with a couple screaming runs and big shakes with the 3lb line I walked my fish around to the nearby stair case and washed it up onto the stair case and grabbed it. It was a 34cm yellowfin bream and I was very happy about that :frantics:. But the fish had swallowed the suicide hook deep and after a long fight it was very worn out and close to death (limp and moving very slowly) so I kept it.

I keep on fishing for a little bit longer till 12.00pm and caught another bream on chicken then filleted my bream and left.

So all up I caught 7 bream smallest 15cm and the biggest 34cm so in my view it was a decent session :) 

Thanks for reading my rambles...

[23cm yellowfin bream]

DSCF9188.thumb.JPG.88ed60abdc2f30b7f7797

[34cm yellowfin bream]

DSCF9184.thumb.JPG.9ca65f2835f37c07f0263

3 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

They're getting bigger, c'boy.  Was it a bit breezy up there this morning?

Thanks. Surprising no it wasn't breezy it was actually nearly dead calm except for the odd 12knot wind funnel down the river every once in a while but willyweather, local news stations, and sea breeze predicted 20knot - 25knot SE winds and very surprisingly date and time got the wind forecasted predicated the best 10 days ago for today :blink:. The mystery's of weather forecasters ;) 

7 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Awesome stuff mate. Great photos too! They won't go anywhere from the way you are holding them. 

Yep, cracker of a pine river session. 

Thanks Sam :). That way of holding them with thumb on head makes it a lot easier to hold, makes for better photo, and when the bream flicks the fish doesn't end up flying + being easier to measure all great things so a special thanks for showing me in my last pine bream report how to hold them the right way, it has helped a lot.

Awesome report curranboy! I've haven't made it to DWB yet but you've certainly put it right at the top of my "must fish spots" list. Out of interest, as I really only get time on the weekends to fish, is DWB busy on the weekends? Also, how many people can throw in a line down there before it feels like everyone is shoulder to shoulder at the urinal? 

2 hours ago, PineRiverNoob said:

Awesome report curranboy! I've haven't made it to DWB yet but you've certainly put it right at the top of my "must fish spots" list. Out of interest, as I really only get time on the weekends to fish, is DWB busy on the weekends? Also, how many people can throw in a line down there before it feels like everyone is shoulder to shoulder at the urinal? 

Thanks. DWB can get very busy on weekends and is one of the most hard fished places on the pine but surprisingly I have caught nearly all of my big bream there. I think it could hold about 10 fishers max along each boardwalk but even 10 would make it hard to present lightly weighted baits but doable. And the absolute best advice would be DO NOT be a sheep and cast as far as you can, instead flick your baits uptide drifting with the tide and heap them as close to the boardwalk as possible, you WILL lose heaps of tackle but the end result is worth it. Hope this helps, good luck :)

12 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

You're really getting this fishing thing sussed @curranboy99. If you ever want a decky spot I would be happy to take you out in the pine sometime and flick a few lures around. I don't go there often, but when I do I will let you know. 

thanks @samsteele115. That's great about the decky spot I would love to head out on the pine sometime flicking lures with you :) 

22 hours ago, curranboy99 said:

Thanks. DWB can get very busy on weekends and is one of the most hard fished places on the pine but surprisingly I have caught nearly all of my big bream there. I think it could hold about 10 fishers max along each boardwalk but even 10 would make it hard to present lightly weighted baits but doable. And the absolute best advice would be DO NOT be a sheep and cast as far as you can, instead flick your baits uptide drifting with the tide and heap them as close to the boardwalk as possible, you WILL lose heaps of tackle but the end result is worth it. Hope this helps, good luck :)

Thanks curranboy - your tips are invaluable and I really appreciate the thoroughness of your answers.

Here's a small question for you - I'm hoping to hit DWB tomorrow (Friday) for a couple of hours but it would be around midday until 2pm. The tide times on http://tides.willyweather.com.au/qld/sunshine-coast/north-pine-river--deepwater-bend.html are showing the low tide as 12:50 pm. So basically I would be fishing an hour either side of the low tide...

What are your thoughts regarding whether this is a waste of time or not? Obviously it is better than being at work!

@PineRiverNoob that is a good time to fish there (prime in my view) but you may not get much action for the first hour (before low) but the fishing will heat up quite dramatically as the tide starts to rise and the fish move into the boardwalk area to feed on avible bait-fish, prawns, crabs, and oysters as well as sheltering from predators in the shallow snags so therefore it isn't a waste of time just make sure you fish the lightest weighted bait possible and cast your baits a couple metres out from the boardwalk (no more than 4m) and let the fish run with the bait before striking.

I've a attached a map of a couple of the better spots at DWB as well, and if you notice they are not under the roofs they are actually in the open because 1. you get more room to move as other fishers go under the roofs 2. direct access to the fish processing tables 3. you can keep a better drift with your bait and 4. it is easier to land your fish as you can swept it up the adjacent wall.

56d7b04ae57ba_dwbscreenshot.PNG.cc824583

Hope this helps, good luck for tomorrow :) 

On 3/3/2016 at 1:38 PM, curranboy99 said:

@PineRiverNoob that is a good time to fish there (prime in my view) but you may not get much action for the first hour (before low) but the fishing will heat up quite dramatically as the tide starts to rise and the fish move into the boardwalk area to feed on avible bait-fish, prawns, crabs, and oysters as well as sheltering from predators in the shallow snags so therefore it isn't a waste of time just make sure you fish the lightest weighted bait possible and cast your baits a couple metres out from the boardwalk (no more than 4m) and let the fish run with the bait before striking.

I've a attached a map of a couple of the better spots at DWB as well, and if you notice they are not under the roofs they are actually in the open because 1. you get more room to move as other fishers go under the roofs 2. direct access to the fish processing tables 3. you can keep a better drift with your bait and 4. it is easier to land your fish as you can swept it up the adjacent wall.

56d7b04ae57ba_dwbscreenshot.PNG.cc824583

Hope this helps, good luck for tomorrow :) 

@curranboy99 - thank you for all the advice. I tried to reply to this post earlier but the iPad kept screwing up! I fished near the spot marked 345B in the above photo. I was there for 2 hours and caught 2 bream - one right on the limit and the other undersized using the chicken thigh/garlic/tuna concoction that @Gad suggested. Interestingly, there was a bloke there using thigh/garlic/parmesan so it looks like the general idea is already out there! It was non-stop tapping for 2 hours but bite:catch ratio still a little bit sad!

No worries :) 

That's good about the bream even though small its still fish and in my view a fish is a fish.

I had the same problem about the non-stop tapping and found out its mostly just pickers (toadfish & gar) smashing my bait but the bream will notice the commotion and smash your bait out of nowhere.

35 minutes ago, curranboy99 said:

I had the same problem about the non-stop tapping and found out its mostly just pickers (toadfish & gar) smashing my bait but the bream will notice the commotion and smash your bait out of nowhere.

That's interesting cause the bloke at DWB that I was speaking with (the dude with the thigh fillet concoction) reckons that the pickers are small bream.

Whatever they are, they are frustrating!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 1:48 PM, FishoDave said:

Thanks for the read mate :)

I love a good bream session, they fight really well on light gear. You tried getting them on lures?

Thanks. I've tried catching them on lures and got a few but don't find it as enjoyable as bait fishing but that's just me :)

Archived