Pilchards For Bream

curranboy99

Hello All

Quick question: Does anyone use pilchards (IQF ones) for bream and get success on them?

Reason being they seem like a handy accessible bait as every tackle shop I know of sells them and I could cut them up into chunks for a smelly bite-sized snack.

Any info would be appreciated as always :) 

9 minutes ago, christophagus said:

pillies are great and will work on any species that lives in the water. but they do not stay on the hook long at all. a few pics from smaller stuff and it will be gone

Thanks @christophagus very much for the nearly instant reply :). I'll put the pillies on my bait list for my next bream session if I can't get fresh mullet. 

Great bait for most fish. If you are using them for bream you will be using smaller hooks do you should try to get the smallest pillies you can find so that you can bait the hook properly. I like to use a half pillie. The head section has the hook in through the eye, pull it right through the back through the shoulders or belly (if that makes sense). With the tail section, poke the hook through near the tail and then back through the fish, then finish off with a half hitch around the tail. Cubes are ok but easy to fall off or get bitten off.

I hope some of this makes sense to someone.  Good luck.

edit. Found this YouTube that says it much better than me 

Archived