cast net to buy?

James Reeves

I'm looking to get a cast net, I've been buying a lot of new gear including both an Atomic Arrowz Rod Estuary rod, which according to my friend's is suitable for chucking live bait in estuaries and rivers for some larger species, I lucked out and couldn't find my old cast net so I'm wondering what the best cast net would be for both rocky (Brisbane river) and sandy conditions. I only really have a budget of about $50 - $75, any recommendations greatly appreciated!

no cast net is good for rocks or any other underwater obstruction for that matter.  they destroy or steal cast nets in no time at all.

I would look at the biggest monofilament cast net with bottom pockets i could afford in the budget.  you might get an 8ft in that price range, i don't know exactly, I haven't looked for ages.  the usual shops often have "20% off all castnets by brandX" specials which are worth waiting for.

Although a little above your price range I really like this net....8' drawstring net.

I have been using this net a lot for the past 18 months.

I will not go back to top or bottom pocket nets again.

Delivery for me was 3 days.

Cast Net 6 7 8 9 10 12 Ft Mono Drawstring 3/4" or 1", CHAIN Bottom, Best Quality | eBay

Deep pockets generally refers to bottom pockets being a bit deeper than normal.

The problem with any pockets is you have to empty them....bottom pockets being the slowest due to the length of the pocket.

Top pockets are prawn nets and are easy to empty the top pocket, however you only catch what enters that top pocket, you miss the rest.

Drawstring nets capture everything in the net and are fast to empty. I tend to get less meshing of fish in the drawstring nets as well, I don't know why.