Brain Spiking Who Uses This Technique?

K-Lub

hey guys,

read an article in april QFM on brain spiking and wondered how many people actually uses this method? have you noticed any improvement in eating quality of the fish?

also another curve ball how do you do it on flathead or flounder?

• 4 weeks later...

I only use this method for fish I plan on keeping. 

Not sure if it improves quality or not, however, animal welfare is more important to me and this method apears to kill them instantly. 

Download the free IkiJime app (called IkiJime tool lite). It has photos with X-rays showing brain location for a wide range of fish including flathead and flounder. 

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:24 PM, K-Lub said:

on brain spiking and wondered how many people actually uses this method? have you noticed any improvement in eating quality of the fish?

Never used that technique - don't plan to too. I guees with the eating qualite it wouldn't change much, it would just have more a chance of getting tainted due to the blood in flesh.

My technique is to catch the fish, measure to see if legal, (if legal by 2cm over) put it on a hard surface like a big rock, cut through the gills with a sharp knife, then pick it back up and break the neck by pushing it back, and let the blood drain out, transfer to ice.

^^ this method = good eating 95% of the time, the other 5% is when the gut is full of weed and other rubbish.

I use the method for bream, whiting, dart, tailor, and all other good eating fish :) 

Archived