Fernhill Park Camping

Doyley

I took the family camping over the labour day long weekend up to Fernhill Park north west of Gympie.  It is advertised as having two dams, one stocked with bass and the over with barra.  On arrival I overheard the owner saying that the barra only ate pellets, so good luck catching them.

We drove down to the camp ground to find only another 5 groups of campers :D  We drove to the furthest site and then the heavens opened.  10mins sitting in the ute as it poured down and then there was a small break in the rain.  the camper was then set up in record time before the next shower.

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

The kids and I headed up to the dams.  I threw a few surface poppers while the kids soaked some baits under floats.  Unfortunately with 5m of weed and lilypads around the edge the kids lost interest very quickly as they got snagged each time they wound their line in.  I didn't see a single fish break the surface in the dams the entire trip, even late afternoon and early morning.

Early the next morning I took one loud camper down to the creek to catch his first fish.  it didn't take long before a small spangled perch took his bait.  He was very proud of his efforts.

IMG_3887.JPG

and after breakfast he was back into it

IMG_3891.JPG

exploring the creek

IMG_3897.JPG

It was great to get away and use the trailer again. 

IMG_3901.JPG

Went there years ago.

The fishing "dams" were a great disappointment, one of the kids got a silver perch, but he did clear out the weeds along one bank for us, even though he had had his wisdom teeth out the day before.

The place itself was nice enough, and quiet then to. Unfortunately when we were there the creek was flooding, so no access to that for us.

14 hours ago, Binder said:

Went there years ago.

The fishing "dams" were a great disappointment, one of the kids got a silver perch, but he did clear out the weeds along one bank for us, even though he had had his wisdom teeth out the day before.

The place itself was nice enough, and quiet then to. Unfortunately when we were there the creek was flooding, so no access to that for us.

Yeah I agree the dams were disappointing, though I didn't put in much effort.   Was talking to an elderly couple who were told they could kayak in the dams.  They were extremely disappointed.  They could kayak but would get very dizzy going around in tight circles. 

Cold showers with no lighting was also a shock.  luckily we have a 12v shower in the trailer for a warm shower the following night 

Archived