Advice On Near New Tinnie?

Panther

Hope this is an ok place for this non fishing question...

I am looking at a second hand boat - 2014 stessco tinnie and the majority of the boat fits my requirements. Does anyone have an opinion on these markings on the aluminium hull. They aren't exactly raised or recessed but I haven't seen them before - might be a little hard to see from the photos so I have circled some more obvious ones. They are pretty uniform in size and location.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

I just want to make sure they aren't an well-known, bad construction bi-product resulting in an inferior hull or a result of major trauma (stress lines/creases??) the boat may have suffered. It's not priced for a dodgy sale so I would hope not.

Hopefully someone out there has come across this before - by the way the markings aren't on the raised ribs.

Also what are peoples opinions on these weld patches - are they a weak spot or nothing to be concerned about? They are not on a seam and are actually located near where the hull meets the side.

DSC_0600.JPG

Thanks.

I have a stessco skipper 2016 model I think there's a lot of negative on stessco if you look on forums but they're older threads and when the boats were first in production I'm told. In saying that my hull is neat as has none of these marks or creases.

Binder, thanks that looks exactly like what it is. I guess the welding heat sort of partially penetrates the 3mm aluminium bottom sheets. Do you think it's a show stopper??? 

Samsteel, I am yet to ask the owner on the cause of the spot weld repairs. It is being sold by a boat shop on his behalf. Same place the motor had been serviced. 

hmmm personally I would run a country mile. It looks like there is an issue with the ribs. I have an issue with my ribs on my boat stopping 100mm short of the Chine. The Aluminium gets flex hardened and is F""ed. Little you can do to fix it. You will be chasing it for life. Any repair will just happen again unless you address the cause (ribs) 

20 hours ago, Doyley said:

maybe send the pics to Stessco and see what they say?

I did this and received a positive and proud response from stessco indicating this is not an issue. They claim this is from the welding of ribs to the hull for strength, something only some manufacturers do.

20 hours ago, crazywalrus said:

hmmm personally I would run a country mile. It looks like there is an issue with the ribs. I have an issue with my ribs on my boat stopping 100mm short of the Chine. The Aluminium gets flex hardened and is F""ed. Little you can do to fix it. You will be chasing it for life. Any repair will just happen again unless you address the cause (ribs) 

Thank you for posting. Your issue sounds different, and extremely unfortunate. I don't believe there are gaps between the stessco boats hull and ribs, just the opposite really. I hope so for my sake anyway!

1 hour ago, Panther said:

I did this and received a positive and proud response from stessco indicating this is not an issue. They claim this is from the welding of ribs to the hull for strength, something only some manufacturers do.

If the manufacturer is aware of it and can explain it then I wouldn't be concerned.  It would be good to compare with other stessco boats of the same age.  You going ahead with the purchase?

On 05/17/2016 at 8:17 PM, Doyley said:

If the manufacturer is aware of it and can explain it then I wouldn't be concerned.  It would be good to compare with other stessco boats of the same age.  You going ahead with the purchase?

Yes purchased today. Went for a sea trial and then towed it home. I was very impressed. Feels extremely robust. Had a mate with me for a second opinion as he has more experience with boats. Ticks all the boxes.

Archived