Squid

T_H

Hey guys gunna have a crack at some squid over the weekend. Never chased them before. Anything in particular tech wise you need to chase them or just a few jigs. Will be chasing them in FNQ

Cheers guys

Not sure about FNQ squid but they cannot be much different right?

There are all sorts of fancy egi rods etc but I find a typical bream outfit just fine.

There is an advantage in a slightly stiffer blank as you can put bigger sharper movement in the jig (which can weigh a bit).

If the squid are agressive its basic, even a slow/medium retrieve and they will jump on it.

If picky I have found a couple of big lifts of the rod and let it sink and pause (for up to 30 seconds or more) can work. Sometimes they will pick it off the bottom after a long pause. Sensitivity in blank and braid is useful so you can detect the moment the squid does pick it up so you can apply pressure and set the barbs.

Remember to maintain pressure as it is really only the countering momentum of your pressure and the squid backing away that is keeping it pinned.

Angus 

Yes I agree with Angus you get a better action out of the jig with a stiffer rod blank; but you still need a relatively soft tip for sensitivity ideally. For example I find my 3-6kg pflueger trion rod a much better egi rod than my light bream rod. If you are in snaggy areas (which you should be for squidding) don't be afraid to go a bit heavier on the leader because if you get snagged the barbs will straighten before 12lb snaps for example.

Between 1-3m seem to be the go down here and once you find them they will usually be around in the same depth as each other.

As Angus said a lot of the time they are so aggressive they will eat it no matter what retrieve you do or gear you have. I do believe expensive jigs work better in terms of action, but a recent trip with @fifis101 proved that his $4 jig caught just as many squid as my $25 jig.

I might get shot down for this, but I actually reckon squid fishing is a farce and all the gear is a rip off. I don't think there is any skill in it at all once you get the basics. Yes, choosing the right jig colour makes sense because you want the jig to stand out the most in the light conditions you are fishing but to me they seem pretty dumb and desperate for a meal and most of the time they will eat your jig again if they drop off it. All this talk about specific jig patterns and actions, their good vision making them cautious to heavy leaders  etc etc etc is bull**** in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Yes I agree with Angus you get a better action out of the jig with a stiffer rod blank; but you still need a relatively soft tip for sensitivity ideally. For example I find my 3-6kg pflueger trion rod a much better egi rod than my light bream rod. If you are in snaggy areas (which you should be for squidding) don't be afraid to go a bit heavier on the leader because if you get snagged the barbs will straighten before 12lb snaps for example.

Between 1-3m seem to be the go down here and once you find them they will usually be around in the same depth as each other.

As Angus said a lot of the time they are so aggressive they will eat it no matter what retrieve you do or gear you have. I do believe expensive jigs work better in terms of action, but a recent trip with @fifis101 proved that his $4 jig caught just as many squid as my $25 jig.

I might get shot down for this, but I actually reckon squid fishing is a farce and all the gear is a rip off. I don't think there is any skill in it at all once you get the basics. Yes, choosing the right jig colour makes sense because you want the jig to stand out the most in the light conditions you are fishing but to me they seem pretty dumb and desperate for a meal and most of the time they will eat your jig again if they drop off it. All this talk about specific jig patterns and actions, their good vision making them cautious to heavy leaders  etc etc etc is bull**** in my opinion.

I think like a lot of fishing this is true if they are going off...

I have had days where it has not mattered what we drop... But I have also had days where they will follow, hang around but not commit. I think on these tough days is where is technicalities come in.

As our discussion went that day @samsteele115 , I would never spend any more money than I had to chasing squid. I think spending $25 on a squid jig is insane. From my experience they are the easiest things to catch. I have only ever used cheap jigs but always favoured pink ones. The other day I was using my 20lb tuna stick and with a light drag I had no issue getting a few. Yes using a lighter rod with a bit more give will help stay connected a bit easier but just take it easy and any rod will work. When I was younger I used to catch them off a jetty using a hand line!

I always find it funny watching blokes in bream comps that might have 10 rods on their boat, with a $300+ reel on each....to catch a bream...that blows my mind. not to mention braid, rods etc. id hate to know the cost of all their gear to catch fish that most jetty rats can catch with their $25 kmart special

14 minutes ago, christophagus said:

I always find it funny watching blokes in bream comps that might have 10 rods on their boat, with a $300+ reel on each....to catch a bream...that blows my mind. not to mention braid, rods etc. id hate to know the cost of all their gear to catch fish that most jetty rats can catch with their $25 kmart special

haha agree completely mate. And 3 sounders.

On 26/05/2016 at 1:00 PM, samsteele115 said:

The funniest thing of all I reckon is guys who spend up to 100k on boat, gear and electronics to fish a tournament where the first place prize is $500 hahaha. Oh well each to their own I guess

And it is often $500 worth of crap the sponsors couldn't move in the shop so they turned it in to a tax right off !

Archived