Any Luck At Brekky Creek/brisbane River Lately?

Puttee

Hi there I'm new to the forums and was just wondering if anybodies actually had any luck land based fishing along the Brisbane river lately? I've been fishing Newstead house side of the creek and at Bretts Wharf a few times in the last month but sadly haven't had any luck, just wondering if anybody else has and if so where else is good to fish along the Brissy river? Not asking for any special or secret spots just the general and most common. Mainly fish landbased but also have a yak.

Also if anyone knows where to go out Manly/Wynnum/Lota ways would also be appreciated. 

Cheers Put  :ausflag:

Hey Put! 

Welcome to the forum world

I don't nornally fish the brisbane river but have had mixed results fishing the pinkenba wall with plastics in the past (land based), i would fish with 2-3" grub style plastics rigged on a #2 1/12oz jighead and expect to catch a few legal bream with the chance if a 30cm+ fish.

Never fished down wynumn way before but have a few year under my belt fishing the north side spots. 

But one key bit of info for catching fish, bream for example is the approach not the spot.. For catching bream I would use light gear 3-4lb line, #00-#0 ball sinkers, and #2 hooks; fish fresh bait such as mullet strips, herring, and prawns; & to fish structure bream like I.e. rock reef, pylons, and rockwalls.

Also have a looksie thru the older threads heaps of great info! 

Hope this helps, feel free to pm me for any specific northside spot info if u wanna look further than the brisbane river or the wynumn area.

Thanks

On Saturday went down to the river to a "secret spot" and caught a decent flatty - worth eating. So they are still around (mind you I caught it on a piece of hot dog as I was targeting catfish). I'd suggest trying the Graceville seascouts jetty, although there is "no fishing allowed" people seem to still go down there. I woudn't use plastics as the water is far too murky - bait (such as ham/hot dogs/oldmeat) is the way to go.

284 Graceville Ave, Graceville QLD 4075 is the address if you were wondering.

19 minutes ago, Puttee said:

Cheers guys appreciate the info! Gonna invest in a yabby pump, what sized yabbies do you get with em? I've always been a live worm, fresh-frozen prawn and squid user

Assorted sizes with the pumps..

Bit if u wanna persit at breaky creek - live baits are the go :-) 

Too helpful guys, I've got the day off so I'm going to make the most of it and go for a fish :D, nice high tide at 11 today. Not sure as to where I'm off to as of yet, yaks at my mates and I don't have roof racks on my suby :/

Off to pinkenba rock wall today for a fish for a couple hours, kirra st ways, any other good common spots? 

Yep kirra st is the best land based acesse for the pinkenba wall, when u get to the boat ranp head east along the conceate path thingy for as far as u can casting at any fishy spots, and when the concrete stops it will turn to sand and rubble and if keen u can continue to walk along the rubble for about a kilometre-ish.

Another good common spot would be nudgee beach in the floodway along the rockwall after the boat ramp but before the dog park - caught my pb bream there (35cm) on mullet flesh with a #6 fineworm hook, not the ideal hook but it worked on this occasion.. Better rig is 4lb braid -> sz0 ball sinker -> sz12 swivel -> (50cm) 4lb fluorocarbon leader -> sz2 gamakatsu octpus hook.

Thanks n good luck :)

25 minutes ago, Puttee said:

Spent a couple hours along the rockwall at pinkenba, walked all the way east past a couple boats and factories but hardly any luck apart from a few small nibble here and there :( 

in my experience, after a massive amount of rain ive never had any luck except for catties. so you might find that could be affect your luck..

6 hours ago, christophagus said:

in my experience, after a massive amount of rain ive never had any luck except for catties. so you might find that could be affect your luck..

I always thought it was the exact opposite..bugger! 

22 hours ago, Puttee said:

Spent a couple hours along the rockwall at pinkenba, walked all the way east past a couple boats and factories but hardly any luck apart from a few small nibbles here and there :( 

That always sucks..

Spent a fair bit of time myself there - tough spot but the rewards are worth it in the forms of big bream, flathead, tailor, Trev's, threddies, and Jew I've been told as I've only got bream there.

"Put in the hours and get the smiles" is the best way to sum up that spot 

Did u use lures or bait? 

Archived