Fish Of The Month: Interest In Renewing?

Angus

Hey team just a quick thought...

With the interest shown in the two stages of Suburb Of Origin thus far, I was wondering if there would be significant interest in resurrecting the old Fish Of The Month competition through the forum. This interest on my behalf was generated by the many comments suggesting they enjoyed the social nature of the Suburb Of Origin comp.

Now I do not want to take away from the Suburbs competition, but just wanted to see if there was interest in something a little more regular but still just as socially motivated. It would all be in good fun and just for bragging rights.

The way the last competition worked was a species would be nominated for the whole month (ideally a suitable target species for that time of year). Members would aim to catch and submit the longest specimen. Not rocket science. Only one species was chosen and the it sort of encouraged anglers as well to maybe break our of comfort zones and have a crack at something different.

Anyway, the competition sort of petered out a little bit and motivation to make the fresh post each month and then announce a winner waned. If there was significant interest however I would be happy to post a fresh species to target and announce the winner of previous month each month.

For example next month we could kick it off with Snapper?

Alternatively... Nominate 3 species and there is bragging rights 3 fold and bragging rights for longest overall? For example... Bream, Tailor, Snapper. It could be 3 anglers, or one who nailed it. Either way leaves it open to a bit more diversity.

Anyway happy for opinions.

Angus

I remember looking through posts when I first joined BFO (back then) wishing that this was still being held each month.  So I'd be really keen to see this start back up and I don't really mind if it's just the 1 species or a number of different ones.  It certainly makes fishing a bit of fun when there's a small comp like this and suburbs of origin going on.  Can't really see anyone being against this idea...

Maybe we could do 1 saltwater and 1 freshwater species each month so everyone can be included (that's if there's enough freshwater fish)?

James

1 hour ago, bersim said:

I remember looking through posts when I first joined BFO (back then) wishing that this was still being held each month.  So I'd be really keen to see this start back up and I don't really mind if it's just the 1 species or a number of different ones.  It certainly makes fishing a bit of fun when there's a small comp like this and suburbs of origin going on.  Can't really see anyone being against this idea...

Maybe we could do 1 saltwater and 1 freshwater species each month so everyone can be included (that's if there's enough freshwater fish)?

James

Can always double up species if there is not enough. Obviously more than enough salt water species going around.

I would be interested, only if the entries show the size on the brag mat, not like last time when people were calling a 55cm and blind freddy could see it was below 53, also only entries that can be read, not sewing tapes that you cant read, if you have a comp rules must be adhered to or there is no use having rules, fun or not.

Dino

Would be good to see it back.

Only one species each month would encourage people to look outside the box and widen their horizons.

No need for prizes maybe a printable certificate ?

IF an ofshore species maybe people could be interested in a charter so they would not be excluded.Would probably need a couple months notice for ofshore species as some charters booked out a fair while ahead.

Maybe a deckies prize to encourage people to take out a decky?

Nothing wrong with a tape measure as long as it can be read by the judges after all some brag mats are hopeless when trying to measure small species such as bream.

Cheers

Ray

5 minutes ago, Cmaltby said:

People looking to be a decky/take deckies can arrange something through a thread .. Like tinder for fishing 

This used to be a very common thing on AFO.  You could almost say that Tinder is like AFO, but for dating :P

I had a thought about this. What about combining 2 old competitions - fish of the month and post of the month? So the idea would be to choose a fish of the month (or one fresh and one salt) and then everyone's puts up a post about their efforts and results in chasing this species, with the post that gets the most likes being the winner.

My thinking behind this is that you will get more activity. Say for example the fish is snapper and tugger goes to boat rock on day one and gets a 80cm model, not too many others will bother posting about smaller fish.  But their catches, or even the efforts to catch them, may be just as interesting or special as tugger' trophy snapper or Dino's 58cm bass.  For example, one of the land based fishos might get a 40cm snapper off the jetty at Colmslie, or Sam might finally break his snapper drought. 

Anyway, food for thought. (Tugger and Dino, definitely not having a go at you guys, just illustrating the thinking).

18 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

I had a thought about this. What about combining 2 old competitions - fish of the month and post of the month? So the idea would be to choose a fish of the month (or one fresh and one salt) and then everyone's puts up a post about their efforts and results in chasing this species, with the post that gets the most likes being the winner.

My thinking behind this is that you will get more activity. Say for example the fish is snapper and tugger goes to boat rock on day one and gets a 80cm model, not too many others will bother posting about smaller fish.  But their catches, or even the efforts to catch them, may be just as interesting or special as tugger' trophy snapper or Dino's 58cm bass.  For example, one of the land based fishos might get a 40cm snapper off the jetty at Colmslie, or Sam might finally break his snapper drought. 

Anyway, food for thought. (Tugger and Dino, definitely not having a go at you guys, just illustrating the thinking).

I have always like the report of the month idea.

I will have a think. I think for the FOTM it could also put people off who cannot be bothered writing a big post? Maybe?

Might be worth having both seperate. But open to more feedback I have a week :)

Angus

Archived