What Baitcaster Reel Would You Get?

bersim

I just realised that I've been so busy that I forgot how close my birthday is getting.  So with that in mind mum and dad want me to make up my mind.  I'm pretty keen on getting a good quality baitcaster but I can't decide between a few so I'd really like to hear from people who have owned or used these reels.  The first I was thinking is the 13 fishing concept A which is really smooth and I've seen plenty of these starting to get around.  Tackle world lawnton often have these at a pretty good price with an omen rod, sunline and reel included for $450 I think.  The next is the shimano curado just because I've used shimano for so many years without many problems.  And also the Diawa Tatula that I know are meant to be great reels.  

So what would you get?  I'm also open to other options if people think that there are better reels that would be worth getting:).  I have also thought about the shimano dc reels which look insane but they are way too pricey!

Thanks!

James

I got told happy birthday when I turned 18, had to by my own present. Just remember you get 10 year warranty from shimano, 5 years from daiwa, what do you get from 13 fishing concept. I used my shimano core for a couple of weeks recently, it was so nice to use, it has been retired again at the moment as I just got 2 caenan reels and love them.

Dino

Over the years I have owned a few baitcasters. Mostly Daiwa, from the old Magcast reels to the best one I have had, the Zillion. Someone at a boatramp decided they needed that rig more than me and I decided that I couldn't justify the expense of replacing it so now I have a Shimano Cronarch. That is more in the price range you are looking at. It is not as smooth as the Zillion, but it is still a good reel that has caught good size Barra and a few longtails up north. The only problem I find with it is that the little release door on the side of the reel that lets you access the spool can sometimes open accidentally by the fat part of my hand under my thumb brushing against it. But that reel is a few years old now so that might have improved.

i think you would be happy with any of the better brands and the fish are less fussy than the fisher people.  Happy birthday by the way, you are a lucky man.

Thanks for the advice @Dinodadog.  I had a look and the 13 fishing warranty is 5 years just like diawa.  They don't sell those shimano core anymore do they?  Not sure how keen I am on buying an expensive reel online.  

That's great to know @Old Scaley.  Those zillions look very nice!  Yeah I think I've heard that from someone else who owns a chronach having the same issue.  But as you said that might be fixed by now.  Hmmm lots to consider!

Thanks @ellicat!  With my birthday being on graduation it couldn't come any quicker.  Really keen to finally head back out for a fish again!!!

James

I you had the cash a zillion j dream or a steez! otherwise i'd recommend a tatula, they are great value. I'm not so sure about the 13 reels, i bought a brand new 13 omen rod about a year ago, used it about 4 times and the cork has come off the rod and its now pretty much useless. I know its not a bait caster but something to consider. As for shimano i haven't really used any so cannot comment but that 10 year warranty sounds pretty inviting.

Cheers, Glenn.

I have a Zillion crazy cranker that has a 4.9 ratio retrieve rate and has been a great reel. Good for natives when a slow retrieve is required. We constantly forget how fast we wind when after losing concentration and casting for hours on end. The low gearing helps a lot. The down side is when using it for Barra and they run towards you, you have to try and pick the line up quickly. 

I sold 2 Steez reels and kept the crazy cranker.

he Steez are a lot lighter and very nice to use but i like the solid feel of the Zillion.

Hope it is of some help and we can try your new reel out after exams:)

As far as old school reliability, you cannot beat an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur. Made in Sweden and bulletproof, I've used them for years. I've also used the Shimano Cronarchs which have a lower profile, and are easy to cast all day. I recently bought a Curado 200 and took it on this years trip to PNG. Loaded with 20lb Fins, it caught my biggest black bass of the trip.

People state that Daiwa make better baticasters, but I'm a Shimano man. At the end it all, retrieve rate, drag rating, line capacity, what style of fishing you use it for should influence your decision.

for the money i would go (and will be soon) the Diawa Tatula  and

don't worry about the warranty thing as SHIMANO are very well known

to give a 10 year warranty but they don't continue the model for 6 years

let alone 10 , i have just bought 2 DAIWA reels after going shimano for 20

years and this doesn't worry me one bit .

EDIT and i love MAG FORCE

Thanks for all the help guys.  I went into tackle world yesterday and had a feel of the tatula type r, zillion tws and also the hrf pe special.  Although I really liked the feel of both the tatula and zillion, the hrf was just something else in my opinion.  With the 20% off it ended up bringing that down to basically the original price of the tatula anyway.  It seems like they are just a pimped/beefed up tatula so I'll be very keen to see how it performs.  Although it is only made in a 7.3:1 gear ratio, after feeling this and comparing it to the others I quite liked the feel probably because I'm so used to using my stradic fj which brings in a similar amount of line (possibly more if I'm not mistaken) per crank.  Feels pretty much the speed I'd like to be winding when using surface lures.  

I've heard nothing but great things about these reels and by the sounds of it they are one of the most durable ones out there.  The 7kg of drag is also very appealing as this gives me a number of options in the future.  It will be perfect for a future barra trip (or in the very distant future maybe even black bass). I matched it with a G. Loomis E6X 10-20lb rod which has an awesome whip to it but feels like it should easily be able to turn the head of a big cod.  Oh and I've finally made the decision to swap to left handed retrieve.  Seemed too strange to be swapping the rod from hand to hand all day.  Anyway here's a photo of her :drooling:  I can guarantee I will do a review when it returns from its first major outing.  

IMG_7801.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

James

Archived