New Boat - Fibreglass Vs Aluminium??

The Mad Hughesy

FIbreglass vs Aluminium  

3 members have voted

1. 1. FIbreglass vs Aluminium

• Fibreglass
    • Aluminium

Later on this year I might be in a position to buy myself a boat. My only previous boat was a 4.1m alyycraft tinny, was a great boat but I will want something bigger (4.8-5m+) and capable to head over to Tangalooma with relative ease. Other uses will mainly be fishing the bay, with a bit of general rec use.

My question is…fibreglass or aluminium…

Having never had anything to do with a glass boat before, I have no idea what to look for in a second hand glass boat. For some reason, I just have a funny feeling towards owning a second hand glass boat. From what I hear, they are just a much smoother ride on the water

Budget is in the 10-15k area. I also only have a 3m wide space down the side of the house to work with as well.

Any advice on pro’s and cons for both of them will be gladly taken on board…

What is the towing capacity of your car?

Either tinny or glass boat that size will require a braked trailer to be legal.

Glass is definitely a more comfortable and quieter ride.

With 2 strokes no longer being sold after next year go for 4 stroke or di 2 banger as parts also no longer will be avail for 2 strokes.

Get someone who is experienced to have a good look at what you are interested in as replacing stringers,floors and transoms in a glass boat is expensive . Be a bit wary of plateys as some have inherent design problems. Might seem expensive to fork out a couple of hundred for an inspection but cheaper than ending up with a lemon.

Cheers

Ray

Archived