Moreton Quicky

timtam_

Ducked out early on Sunday morning to find some wrecks in the bay which have been on the list for a while. Leaving the ramp at 4:50 made for a very slow trip to the Rock Wall as a result of the fog. We had to mess around for a while at the rock wall until there was enough light to actually see where we were going, visibility was down to maybe 20m at best! Could not even see the big cruise ship until we were right beneath it. 

The new moon and big tides made fishing a challenge which we found was the case for most boats out there. We found the Neilson, and then another Trawler wreck in closer to the shipping channel. We only managed small reefies and some cod off these wrecks up to 30cm, as the current was so strong! Microjigs accounted for a few small hookups at Curtain artificial but the reef was like a carpark. 

Headed home and stopped at one of my favourite beacons with a rubble bottom. We had success on livebait immediately, after pulling the hooks on two 700mm kingies and being snapped off by another. They became wise to us after that. 

Stopped off at the final beacon in the shipping channel before the rock wall, only to be smoked by a good mackerel, re rig, and then get a smaller, 600mm model to the boat (all on slugs). Mike brought in a smaller fish before we then both pulled the hooks on bigger fish again! 

Then the cops showed up...

I didn't know previously that you aren't allowed to tie off to the ladder on the beacons but $250 later, I've learnt that lesson. Mike also got hit with $250 for lack of a LIFEJACKETS sticker in his boat. Won't be making the same mistake again!

Mackerel came home for dinner and it wasn't until dessert time that I remembered about the chemical spill!! :geek:

EALB5895[1].jpg

IMG_1429[1].JPG

IMG_1431[1].JPG

You did very well, except for the fine obviously :whistle: $$$

I was out with a mate Saturday afternoon, in the great weather, around mud island and only managed undersized grassies, squire, bream and the like. Our fishing time was dictated by the wives and therefore only got to fish the mid run in tide... not ideal. 

I like the sounder pics. Makes me want to get out there again asap. Interesting that your water temp says 22.5°c. Mine was on 20°.

Shame about the fine mate - I'm assuming there were no birds on top of the beacon ........ it's normally a bit 'dangerous' being that close ...... :whistle:   What sort/layout of boat was it (half cab, open tinny, etc)? I've got an open tinny with the usual little storage shelf at the front which houses my anchor and life jackets and I'm of the belief that I don't need a sticker because they are visible - can anyone confirm I'm correct that I don't need one?

Oh and I was out at the front rockwall early on Sunday morning also, probably around the same time - I launched earlier but took a fair while to find the poop schute (yep, that's how dark and foggy it was ..) and not run into it and then made my way out to the front rockwall for no action til 6am. Wish I'd stopped along the wharves near a lighted section where I'd seen a bit of bait. Went to Mud but very quiet with just a couple of small cod - nice day though. On the plus side I'm hoping I got my bad luck out of the way BEFORE State of Origin ...... :)

13 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Shame about the fine mate - I'm assuming there were no birds on top of the beacon ........ it's normally a bit 'dangerous' being that close ...... :whistle:   What sort/layout of boat was it (half cab, open tinny, etc)? I've got an open tinny with the usual little storage shelf at the front which houses my anchor and life jackets and I'm of the belief that I don't need a sticker because they are visible - can anyone confirm I'm correct that I don't need one?

This is what I got from Qld maritime web site. 

Our law says that:

boat owners or skippers must give each person on board information about where safety equipment is kept and clearly sign where lifejackets are stowed. The labels must have the word ‘lifejacket’ in red text on a white background or white text on a red background. 

I wouldn't take the chance, I'd be putting one on anyway. 

Cheers for all the replies fellas! @Panther, I hadn't even noticed the temperature. 

@kmcrosby78 yes there were birds, otherwise I wouldn't have stopped ;) Once again the recipe works for the beacons! Birds, bait = mackerel underneath. We lost three, boated two smallies and landed my bigger one . I actually saw your tinny out at the rockwall but due too the fog I couldn't confirm my suspicions! We were in Mikes 4.5 CC open boat, lifejackets stored under the casting deck. 

Archived