Brisbane Holiday Short Stay Suggestions (with Fish Options)

tiotony

Hey all,

I'm from Cairns but living in Singapore right now. Coming to Bris tomorrow for a 2 week break (flights to Cairns too expensive), and wondering can anyone suggest any short breaks in the area that the Missus would enjoy, whilst I snuck off for a flick? Moreton Island or something?

I'm packing a 3kg SP outfit by the way.

Any suggestions for landbased too? Will have hire car and will be staying southside.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely recommend Point Lookout on Stradbroke Island for a few days.  Moreton is great but unless you have a 4x4 you will be at Tangalooma on the bayside, where if you have your car on Straddie you can do both surf and bayside. I am sure others will have ideas for you. Enjoy your stay, mate.

I haven't been ON Coochiemudlo Island but that may be an option either for a daytrip (very short ferry ride from Victoria Point) or otherwise to stay (there is a 'resort' there). Others may be able to advise what it is like ON the island. Another option I've just thought of is renting a place on one of the Bay islands like Russel or Macleay Island - I had a look a while ago on Airbnb and there's some NICE places :) Just not sure how much there'd be to do for her while you're fishing .... :)  

Also look up Aria Cruises on the Scoopon website, they've got a couple of cheap deals for both whale watching and fishing (your missus may be happy to go on the 'fishing' one as I suspect it's pretty low key/casual (as opposed to an offshore charter) and goes around Peel Island, so she may like the sightseeing aspect of it.

Lastly, if you're after a decky spot while you're hear, sing out as people should be doing plenty of fishing now the weather appears to have settled ;) 

+1 for strady if going there contact Angus for some pointers. Great scenery,relaxed life style,good restaurants,good short term accommodation with deals including ferry transfers.

With coochie and bay islands unless you want to just sit back and relax once you have walked around you have seen it all.

Cheers

Ray

Could also head down to the northern NSW region.

For the price of the barge over you could add an extra nights stay in an AirBNB/resort down there. Lots of relaxing and small towns to shop in for the wife, LOTS of fishing options for you.

Have a look at Kingscliff, Casuarina, Hastings Point and Pottsville.

Thanks heaps for the answers everyone, stradbroke sounds good. Let me know if you need Cairns land based info- I hear fishing has become outstanding now it's been a couple of years net free ( I haven't been home in a year)

cheers all

Archived