Port Douglas Over Fished

bazza1

Just wondering if anyone has fished the Port Douglas area recently? I've been living here for the last few years and can't believe how bad the fishing is. They make it sound like it's the best fishing on the planet yet in reality it's pretty pathetic. I've fished all my life and have lived in great fishing locations but this is one of the worst. Every now an then you catch some good fish in the rivers but all in all it's pretty bad. I've spoken to a few long term locals and they've said that barra netters have fished it out which if true is sad to see. The inshore reefs are pretty flogged out as well which you would probably expect, but you'd think an area renowned for it's fishing that something would be done about it. I've even done a few charters and had no luck and they just give you the old you should have been here yesterday crap. All I can say if you're thinking of having a fishing holiday here to catch barra and stuff, don't waste your time.

Mate I'm in Innisfail and the old fellas around here say the same thing about the rivers here and the reefs. I catch a few different species in the Harbour down at Mourilyan but there are pro fishers everywhere here with 3-5 nets out in different spots and they just catch everything....... Not much left for us...

Archived