Peel Island Qld

Hodgey89

Hi guys,

New member here, I’ve just recently bought a Haines hunter v183 (18 foot) with a 90hp outboard. I’m looking at taking the family to Peel island or north Stradbroke for a day at the beach etc. I live in Victoria point and was wondering what wind, tide, current etc would I be looking for to make it a good day on the boat for the wife and kids? 

Thanks in advance 

5 minutes ago, Hodgey89 said:

Hi guys,

New member here, I’ve just recently bought a Haines hunter v183 (18 foot) with a 90hp outboard. I’m looking at taking the family to Peel island or north Stradbroke for a day at the beach etc. I live in Victoria point and was wondering what wind, tide, current etc would I be looking for to make it a good day on the boat for the wife and kids? 

Thanks in advance 

Mate if it is just a day at the beach peel is great specifically horseshoe bay.

High tide the water is a little clearer but it's nice all the time. 

Horseshoe is protected pretty well from northerly and westerly winds and because of straddy gets a bit of a buffer in an easterly as well.

For a day with the fam hard to beat.

Angus

4 minutes ago, Hodgey89 said:

I live in Victoria point and was wondering what wind, tide, current etc would I be looking for to make it a good day on the boat for the wife and kids? 

Gday @Hodgey89. Peel island is awesome for kids/families. Horseshoe bay is on the Southern side and has a large sandy beach. At low tide the shallow sand extends out a long way. This makes it impossible for boats to reach the beach proper but on a rising tide you can sneak in close and walk to the beach. Great swimming and beaching.

In a southerly wind Horseshoe bay is quite exposed so it is far better to try and get a northerly. 

Moreton island is a stunning sand island. Towards the north is Tangalooma. It has a resort that you will need to get a pass for if you want to go in. Just north of this is the Wrecks. It has fantastic snorkeling/diving on old sunken barges. Best to tackle this at the top or bottom of the tide as the current can rip through here. 

The western beach is remote and not many people visit it. You will have to watch the outgoing tide so you dont get stuck but it has beautiful sandy beaches for many miles. 

We mostly get a wind with easterly in it in the summer so this western beach is a great option for a still water beach most days. 

5 minutes ago, Hodgey89 said:

Thanks for the advice guys. Would you take the boat from Victoria point to get to Moreton or would you use a ramp closer? Cheers

Victoria point is fine, especially for the southern end of Moreton. The southern beaches around Kooringal are very under rate, perhaps as they are a bit tricky to navigate to at low tide and there are a lot of go slow areas to protect dugong and turtles.  Be mindful of the South Passage bar that can get wild at times and the Rouse channel is very windy and tricky to follow the first few times you go there. On a clear day you will see lots of turtles, Dolphins and perhaps a dugong. In cooler months hump back whales get into the bay. Very much worth the effort to go to Kooringal. I like to get there as early as possible to avoid the sea breese on the way back. You can even go from Cleveland and travel up the Rainbow Channel from Peel island. 

https://www.australias.guide/qld/location/kooringal/

If you are going to Tangalooma perhaps consider Port of Brisbane Ramp instead. 

https://www.tangalooma.com/brisbane-day-trip-cruise

Don't forget if you want to go to the resort you need to get a pass the day before.

Yes Welcome. If you do go please get us some pics? We love reports especially if you get a few fish. There are good whiting grounds around the Rouse Channel. Just watch there are a few greeen zones around there and they are well policed. Make sure you are fishing over the weed not the white sand.

Archived