lures from uk

welshsi

Hi all,

As some may of seen my first post here,we are relocating from the UK in April to brisbane.out of interest,could anyone advise on what type of lure you guys use in the rivers,from the shore and on kayaks (bit of a wide ranging topic I know 😫). Just wondering if they are similar to the UK so I can stock up before heading out

3 hours ago, mzaakir said:

hey mate i wouldnt mind organising a fish with you and can show you a few spots and put you in the right direction, im more of a saltwater fisherman, love rivers canals ocean, dont mind fishing freshwater every once in a while

Hey Mzaakir!

That's so kind,will definitely stay in touch. That sounds great,hard to pick but I'd probably rate sea as my favourite type due to the unknown of what might turn up.do love a bit of lure/bait fishing on the rivers too.

On 13/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, welshsi said:

Hey Mzaakir!

That's so kind,will definitely stay in touch. That sounds great,hard to pick but I'd probably rate sea as my favourite type due to the unknown of what might turn up.do love a bit of lure/bait fishing on the rivers too.

easy as mate, i dont know if private message is possible on this chat but you create a post reaching out to me ill see it haha

i highy recommend getting a couple zman slimswimz 2.5inch and the grubz ST 2.5inch. I recommend the grubz ST instead of the normal grubz since their tail is split which makes the action so much better. And just match those plastics with a jighead that soughts water depth your fishing and target. I like to use a 1/8 or 1/6 for flathead, jew threadfin and ill sometimes use a 1/12 if the conditions are mint. If im going for bream i tend to use 1/16 heaviest mostly throwing 1/24 or 1/36. 1/12 and 1/6 and really good all rounders

in regards to hardbodies, daiwa make some really good crank baits, i personally love the spike 44 and 53, also the slippery dog and sugarpen are really nice topwater lures for summer. 

On 13/11/2023 at 7:04 PM, welshsi said:

Your trout are very different to ours too!.looking forward to getting to grips with new lures and methods👍👍

I'm pretty sure the trout in Australia are the same as in the UK - in Australia we have brown trout which were introduced from the UK and rainbow trout which were introduced from the USA. Rainbow trout were also introduced into the UK and are now established in the rivers and lakes. I don't think we have sea trout like you have in the UK but they're just freshwater brown trout that have headed out to sea and the saltwater river estuaries and undergone a colour change from brown to silver in the process.

10 hours ago, Phil712z said:

I'm pretty sure the trout in Australia are the same as in the UK - in Australia we have brown trout which were introduced from the UK and rainbow trout which were introduced from the USA. Rainbow trout were also introduced into the UK and are now established in the rivers and lakes. I don't think we have sea trout like you have in the UK but they're just freshwater brown trout that have headed out to sea and the saltwater river estuaries and undergone a colour change from brown to silver in the process.

And then we have coral trout which are a tad different....

10 hours ago, Phil712z said:

I thought I'd heard of rainbows and browns in Tasmania but didn't know they where right through 👍. obviously knew of the coral trout but thought that was it

On 21/11/2023 at 8:03 AM, welshsi said:

I thought I'd heard of rainbows and browns in Tasmania but didn't know they where right through 👍. obviously knew of the coral trout but thought that was it

There's definitely freshwater trout fishing locations in NSW and Victoria as well as in Tasmania at places like Falls Creek (Vic) and Lake Jindabyne (NSW). I don't freshwater fish so I don't know too much about it but there's a lot of other locations as well including commercial trout fishing farms. My mate goes fishing at one of those in Oberon which is in the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney.