vmr and coast guard merger - marine rescue queensland

Hweebe

My Coast Guard renewal is up in Feb-24 ($80) so I thought i would look up where this merger is up to. Supposedly merger is to be wrapped up by June-24.

Name and Emblem:

MRIP - Marine Rescue Queensland emblem and uniforms approved | For government | Queensland Government

Regions Divided up:

RIT - Monthly Newsletter December 2023 | For government | Queensland Government

It has been a long time coming.  They will actually sit within the Qld Police as a separate agency.  Should be good to standardise their vessels and admin etc as they move to being a professional state maritime rescue organisation. (BTW I dont mean they dont offer a professional and dedicated service now)

I know a few of us are old enough to remember the old QATB - its probably like when the old ambulance services were funded by the local chook raffle to where the QAS is now.  Properly funded and standardised services.

• Hweebe changed the title to vmr and coast guard merger - marine rescue queensland
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2024 at 2:24 PM, Hweebe said:

My Coast Guard renewal is up in Feb-24 ($80) so I thought i would look up where this merger is up to. Supposedly merger is to be wrapped up by June-24.

Name and Emblem:

MRIP - Marine Rescue Queensland emblem and uniforms approved | For government | Queensland Government

Regions Divided up:

RIT - Monthly Newsletter December 2023 | For government | Queensland Government

I heard about this when I was doing my VHF licence (at Manly Coast Guard) but I wasn't paying a whole bunch of attention. Will we still need paid memberships, or will it be a govt funded service like Police, Fire, Ambulance, etc?

@MattInOz  No - Membership will no longer be required once Marine Rescue QLD is fulling implemented / operational.

From their FAQs Frequently Asked Questions (vision6.com.au)

Will Marine Rescue Queensland charge users for services?

Providing marine assistance to persons or vessels in difficulty or distress will be a core function of Marine Rescue Queensland. This means that MRQ will not be charging for these services. 

The rescued party may choose to make a donation to MRQ as a subsequent action, however the request or requirement for donation is not tied to the on-water response. Where someone chooses to make a donation, that donation can be directed to their local unit or to Marine Rescue Queensland.