Brisbane River Session #289 and #290

AUS-BNE-FISHO

On 2/11/2024 at 8:17 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all,

I've been out for two pretty terrible sessions the last two weeks. The first session was at Newfarm on a Friday night. When we arrived the water was very dirty, but my Dad had a go with the cast net to see if there were any prawns around yet (as previous years we have caught good numbers of them around this time). Unfortunately, there were no prawns to be seen, although someone did hook something alright that broke them off. I had a flick with a soft vibe for no bites.

Stats:

Tide: 9:00PM, .8M, Low. 

Moon Phase: 60%

Air Pressure: 998

Humidity: 59%

Overall Success Rate: 10%

The second session was this morning at Mt Crosby. I had a bit of a dilemma about where to go yesterday but Mt Crosby was definitely the wrong choice.

My Dad and I arrived a bit later than usual, but we still had our first casts a bit before 6. The water was chocolate, and despite the .1M low tide it was still higher than usual due to a lot of water overflowing from the weir. This was pretty disappointing, as it meant the fishing was going to be tricky, but we continued to move around between spots. At about 7 though, with no bites and the sun coming up, we decided to call it quits. I probably won't go back to Mt Crosby until it stops raining for a while. I don't know where I will go fishing next weekend, probably somewhere in the river with livies or lures again.

Stats:

Tide: 7:40AM, .1M, Low. 

Moon Phase: New Moon

Air Pressure: 1010

Humidity: 94%

Overall Success Rate: 5%

Anyway, thanks for reading,

Cheers, Hamish. 

Not good news ABF,  you need to give the Brisbane River a good break, maybe 4 + weeks, if we don't get anymore rain, after good rain all but the vermin make their way down to the mouth of the rivers and creeks to get a bit of salinity in the water. You need  locations that are getting a good tidal flush of salt water twice a day, maybe get your Dad to take you to Bribie if he has the time and fish maybe Woody Bay or Red Beach, both areas  get a good flush every day regardless of the rain, if you and Dad like camping on the beach, make a trip of it and take a small tent, couple of sleeping bags and get some jaffles cooking over the coals, after reading this Mangajack might even cook em for ya, good areas for flathead, dart and whiting, be a bit of an adventure hey! 

Good fishing to you

fatboy

7 hours ago, fatboy said:

Not good news ABF,  you need to give the Brisbane River a good break, maybe 4 + weeks, if we don't get anymore rain, after good rain all but the vermin make their way down to the mouth of the rivers and creeks to get a bit of salinity in the water. You need  locations that are getting a good tidal flush of salt water twice a day, maybe get your Dad to take you to Bribie if he has the time and fish maybe Woody Bay or Red Beach, both areas  get a good flush every day regardless of the rain, if you and Dad like camping on the beach, make a trip of it and take a small tent, couple of sleeping bags and get some jaffles cooking over the coals, after reading this Mangajack might even cook em for ya, good areas for flathead, dart and whiting, be a bit of an adventure hey! 

Good fishing to you

fatboy

Thanks a lot for the advice fatboy, appreciate it. That would be a lot of fun, and I'll try and do some sessions closer to the river mouth soon. 

6 hours ago, Thorbjorn Hale said:

Yeah fishing after the rain has been kinda slow, I was pleased with that snap on a vibe but bait fishing has sucked haha.

It was a nice snapper. 😃