Going on a charter tomorrow, gear tips

boon

Hey guys, managed to get onto a charter and will be heading out tomorrow. It's going to the reef past moreton island. Just wondering if a 15kg rod with a 4500 spin reel(20lb mono 180metresof line) is adequate? Also have a 3500b baitrunner with 15lb braid. Thanks for the feedback guys.

whatever you do dont get your braid tangled up in their mono broom handle combo's cos they'll cut your braid to undo the tangle....depending on wear you go but 18o shoudl be just enought..more importantly is the bait runner of quality cos there are some good fish out there at time

Decky wrote:

saltshaker wrote:
whatever you do dont get your braid tangled up in their mono broom handle combo's cos they'll cut your braid to undo the tangle....depending on wear you go but 18o shoudl be just enought..more importantly is the bait runner of quality cos there are some good fish out there at time

you dont know what your talking about.

I've decked for these fellas for 5 years and i never cut braid to get mono out and either does any1 i work with

Just a quick report, saturday was perfect for fishing. Matt was an awesome decky and I couldn't ask for more. Unfortunately, one of the boat's motors broke down so we lost some time fishing. With that said, I managed to catch a snapper on my own gear which was good fun :) Maybe it's just me but the overheads were just too heavy and it's so hard feeling for bites at 180m. I'm glad I brought my rod and spin reel as the snapper gave a good bend on my rod so it was all good. My bro-in-law also managed to catch a nice kingy but he didn't even know there was a fish at the end of his line. He was actually complaining to matt that his reel was too difficult to reel in. Keke. Will post some pics later

No worries thanks Boon.

Yep bloody boats.Lost a motor out at Tempest ended up limping around out there and the current picked up and we were kind of stuck out in the deep water when we would have prefered to move to a less currenty area anyways Boon give the shop a call today and the boss will book you in again at half price and we will try and show ya a better day next time.It was a pleasure to have you on and im looking forward to seeing you again.

boon wrote:

Just a quick report, saturday was perfect for fishing. Matt was an awesome decky and I couldn't ask for more. Unfortunately, one of the boat's motors broke down so we lost some time fishing. With that said, I managed to catch a snapper on my own gear which was good fun :) Maybe it's just me but the overheads were just too heavy and it's so hard feeling for bites at 180m. I'm glad I brought my rod and spin reel as the snapper gave a good bend on my rod so it was all good. My bro-in-law also managed to catch a nice kingy but he didn't even know there was a fish at the end of his line. He was actually complaining to matt that his reel was too difficult to reel in. Keke. Will post some pics later

We have a deep spot we fish sometimes its hard work but it does pay off when the conditions are right.

Archived