Gold Coast last night

Shorty

Hi Everyone,

Went down to the Gold Coast last night as I'd been gagging to go fishing all week long - the weekend just couldn't get here quick enough!!

Took off from work about 4, drove home and loaded up the car and cruised down, all the while thinking about how many fish I was going to catch. Finally arrived at the spit and was surprised to find other people already there setup and fishing!!

Got setup where I wanted to fish and as it was a run out tide I still had visions of catching a couple of nice big fish - ever the optomist!! :)

First line is in the water no more than 30 seconds and I start to get nibbles... this is looking really promising... few more nibbles and BAM - I'm on...!! Ohhhh yeah....!! Only a smallish bream to start with, but it's a start...

Fished like that for the next hour or so, alternating rods with some really nice bream coming in, but as I was only there for the fun they all got a kiss and were put back to live for another day!!

It went quiet after about an hour and a half, only getting the occasional touch. There was something out there though - there was still a lot of surface action going on and you can hear the prawns flipping around and breaking the surface every now and then with a serious take on the surface... so there were still lots of good positive signs... but it was getting too damm cold to stay out for much longer and with the bait supply running out it came down to my lasy 2 witebaits.

Decided to put the 2 of them on the hook together and see if I could jag something. I cast them out and waited...

In less time than it took me to flip the bail arm over I could feel something was there... this has got to be a flatty I was thinking to myself.. and it feels like a damm nice one too!! The heart rate increased and line started to slowly come off the spool... I struck and I was on.... WOOOOOHOOOO!!! Here we go, this is gonna be a nice sized flatty!! I could feel the headshaking from side to side and could feel it occasionally trying to run but I had it well hooked and was in control... but something didn't seem quite right!! A couple of minutes later I had the fish beaten and was bringing it into the shallows and could see it thrashing around... nice long flat body - this has got to be the flatty I was after. The light was really bad there and only had the moon to go by so I put the rod back into the holder and ran up to the fish....:woohoo:

.... only to look down and see it was a shovelnose... :( I was shattered :angry: A stupid bloody shovelnose!! LOL - all I could do was laugh!! Here's me having visions of a nice flatty and it was a shovelnose!! DOH!!

Ahhh well - it was still a good night!! Had lots of fun down there and was just good to get out and wet a line!!

Went for a cruise around the goldy and then started on the journey home!! All in all I had a great time, caught some fish and while I didn't catch the fish I was after, it was still a lot of fun!!

Shorty :D

Archived