Portable Fishfinders (revisted)

werewolf

Time to drag this old topic up! There is some really good info in this thread http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=3879&limit=15&limitstart=30 in particular Ray's "portable" setup. Unfortuently with the site update Ray's piccies are not there anymore, so Ray can you slap them on this thread please?

Also as that discussion started over two years ago, what are the current choices for a cheap fish finder? I like Ray's idea of using a small sealed 12V battery. If it is about the size I am picturing, I think it would fit neatly in the pocket behind my seat in the little Viking:)

What would be a reasonable price for a second hand sounder? I just want basic features.

Shrimpo wrote:

What kind of battery is that ray and what did it set you back?

Mate I was at supa cheap stones corner the other day and noticed that they had a heap of small sealed rechargeable batteries ranging from about 70mm cube to larger ones like Rays.

The shop was being repainted so everything was a mess but I did see one had a $90 price tag which to me is a bit steep but if you're in a yak or carrying it about the weight saving has a cost.. I'd imaging though that battery world would have a size to fit the occasion

Battery was around $30 from supercheap it is aprox 4 inches by 3 inches. Here are some photos of the sounder I was telling you about. I fired it up it has temperature and the depth reading is in feet bur probably adjustable. You should be able to download manual on line. Its a humminbird pirahna max 10 160 vertical pixels so its only a very basic one.

One of the mounting lug for the sounder is broken but you may be able to buy one from humminbird or else should be easy to make something up.

There is no mounting bracket for the transducer and the lugs are broken on the transducer so you would have to make a mount up and glue the transducer into it with silicone.

Its yours if you want it.

Cheers

Ray

this is the unit screen size is 2 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/4 high [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010367_AFO-70dd37a4349c44be8931c9dbacb4eb3a.jpg

post-230-144598476538_thumb.jpg

sweet thanks Ray I'll gladly take it off your hands. I'll see what I can whip up to get the old girl back into tip top shape;)

I'm busy all this weekend, but hopefully the one after I'll be able to come grab it, if you are free. I'll PM you for details about it when it gets closer though!

cheers

wwolf:fishing:

Archived