Electric Motors

straddiebrad

Picked up a Minn Kota " i Pilot" for my tinny and self installed myself recently.

All of our fishing is estuary based and also including open bay areas from Macleay out to Mud island 

Holy crap, i don't know how i ever did without one! , what a magic bit of gear......

Spot lock is fantastic ! 

Have not even thought about touching the anchor rope since yeeeehaaaaaa 

Obviously also great for slow trolling lures, slowing drift speeds when flicking plastics and doing it all silently without spooking fish.

As long as the elec motor lasts for a considerable amount of time , i would consider it the best value piece of equipment i have ever purchased for any boat ever.....

8 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

What sized tinny
I assume you are after a bow mount

What features

Budget

If you are just after a no frills 12 volt motor with a bit extra grunt have a look at the watersnake65lb https://www.dinga.com.au/watersnake-combat-crc65-54-bow-mount-with-remote-and-free-dinga-fishing-shirt.html

Jervis walker service is superb .

If you desire features such as spot lock you will be looking at a lot more money.

Haswing have a new model coming soon.

Lowrance are bringing out their own brand soon but no info yet available and no info available with their arrangement with the current interaction with motorguide motors.

Minn kota and motorguide features identical Minn kota interact with humminbird sounders whilst motorguide interact with lowrance.

If you want auto stow and deploy  Minnkota ulterra are the ducks guts but are only available in 24 or 36 volt motos ane are up around the 5k mark now

Minn kota have their own dedicated service division and have spare parts avai; fpr motors going back 20 years.

Motorguide servicing is done by your local mercury agent who may or may not be experienced with motorguide ok if it under warranty as they will just keep changing parts till fixed but it it is out of warranty you pay for their inexperience. They only keep parts for 10 years.

IF you are on the northside Worthwhile dropping in to northside marine and having a yarn with Glen in the spare parts section or on southside talk to Daz at Cleveland Marine. Daz is ex BLA minn kota tech.

Cheers

Ray

just for a 4.2 blue fin,not looking for anything special just enough grunt to do some shallow water trolling,so doesnt have to be bow mount but either would do i say

A bow mount is better if you wish to easily control the motor if casting or even playing a fish. Hand held remote handy if you are allover the boat whilst playing fish nothing worst if the fish heads up to the bow when you have foot pedal at the stern. 

Bow mounts take up space whilst you are traveling /

Transom at least half price of bow mounts.

Whatever you purchase ensure that you give a good wash down ofter use. Especially foot pedals. Also regularly remove prop and check for line around shaft.  If you do not do this the line cuts out the shaft seals and once water gets into the housing you are up for an expensive repair that is not covered by warranty

Cheers

Ray