Glenlyon Dam

Tiani

Hi guys i was just wondering if anyone has any info on fishing glenlyon dam.I`m new to freshwater fishing and not sure of what lures or bait to use i`m hoping to target yellowbellies iknow shrimps are the best bait Does anyone know any good spots to catch the shrimp and what with or some names of lures they have been successful with...

Hi tiana welcome to the site . I was at glenlyon in september for a week and am going back there on 9th january.

Shrimp are the number one bait for baitfishing and they were plentifull in the weed beds near the ramp but we lost a few traps and sharefarmers were also present. The worse thing was that after they stole your shrimp they would leave the trap open.

I would suggest you putting in your traps away from the ramp.

I usually use the fabric mesh rectangular collapsible shrimp traps. I modify the traps by tieing in the neck of a kirks plastic sort drink bottle into the entrance of the trap. This increases the catch rate as it is harder for the shrimp to escape and prevents the entrance of eels and water rats etc.

We caught an undersized cod on a shrimp and over 40 yellas for the week. It took us a few days to find the fish.

If you delve into the past lakes reports you will find ferals report on the trip.

Brian and Debby Dare from the van park are extremely helpfull and will tell where the fish are and the best lures. When chasing cod the majority seem to be trolling large deep diving lures in the open or using shallow hardbodies or spinner baits on the edges of the weed beds.

There is plenty of structure,deep banks,trees and weedbeds so it is just a matter of persisting and experimenting.

It is a great place and if you take your kids there is plenty of wildlife for them to see. there usually is plenty of roos around the park looking for a feed of bread.

We stay in the cabins, You have to provide your own bedding and a microwave would be handy, The cabins are airconditioned and have 3 bunk beds and one double bed.You can also hire an extra fridge or freezer for $15 for a week

Telstra cdma are the only mobiles that work there and there is no tv reception.

Good luck

Ray

When are you going? Maybe we can meet up

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/12/05 17:56

hopefully i`ll make it out there sometime around the 9th and will keep an eye out for you.....my brothers mate was out there last week and said he caught a heap of big shrimps under a little bridge about 15 mins from the dam on the tenterfield road...and done really well with them and a couple of different spinners but had no luck with the hard bodies..

sounds good.Do you listen to 4bc at 5am on saturdays? brian dare from the caravan park usually gives a report on whats biting in the area he is usually on around 5.15 also writes a collumn in bush n beach.

Before we go i will try to catch some shrimp in leslie harrison dam to take up with us.

ray

Archived