FIJI report

James W

well just got home....have decided i want to move to Fiji.. We didnt end up getting gt's the size of car bonnets but i left a very happy man...just gunna put up some pics for now as im buggered..and will have mrs jimmybob write up a big report tomorrow....must sleeeep...dream of screaming drags..;) [img size=240]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00510.jpg

post-180-144598479207_thumb.jpg

just out the front was a rock wall where all the locals were fishing with handlines made from water bottles with sink lead wrapped around the line for sinkers and using a paste of tinned tuna and flour made into balls for bait!

on the second day 2 old ladies had been fishing for hours with no luck, so jimmybob headed over and caught a barracuda which they were eyeing off. so he handed it over for their dinner while they patiently waited for the next catch...after another few barracuda's and a small gt it was getting dark so I called it quits for the day. next thing these ladies were bossing jimmybob around to stay for "one more big one" :lol: [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00511.jpg

post-2546-144598479212_thumb.jpg

the next morning after talking to some of the resorts workers i headed back to the rock wall..there was bait getting smashed everywhere....it was so cool to be blooping a popper in and watching barracuda and gts chase it all the way back to the rocks..and when ever i hooked up a cuda other cuda were all over it trying to steal the lure out of its mouth...i never got a gt on a popper..all of my gts for the week were on squidgy flickbaits or shads both in evil minnow colour...didnt matter how big the gts were my 6lb outfit was getting flogged!..i was in heaven:)

and before i upset anyone with some of the size of these fish, the locals there were more than happy to take the fish off me as they work/fish hard for little rewards so i had no problem helping them put food on the table..there are no size limits there..but they did tell me there was now zones scattered on the island where no fishing is permitted, which is great...

fiji is such a beautiful place, but pollution looks like it will be a problem soon...the y seem to need some sort of waste management plan in place, or at least some education on what effects rubbish wil do their pristine enviroment. [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00524.jpg

post-180-144598479223_thumb.jpg

the resort also had kayaks i was allowed to take out for a fish...so i was off ot the river and around the corner to this rocky outcrop with shallow reef stretching for ages...paddled to the edge of the reef, cast out a flick bait, let it sink for a few seconds, twitch, twich bang!...this gt just headed for the reef and then out to sea then back to the reef with my reel absolutly screaming!..i was giggling to my self while this fish just dragged my kayak in circles!..and it wasnt even that big!..they fight soo hard and as it got closer cuda were swiping at it,other gts were trying to pinch the sp out of its mouth, i was in fishing paradise!....so i fished this reef for a few hours in the sweltering heat and landed quite a few and bust offs on the reef were pretty consistant...but i didnt care. i was fishing really light and was having a ball...i gave some fish to a group of kids on the beach and they were happy as to take home some "sangas"(gt) to there village...the only thing that made me come in was when i was fighting a gt a small shark was hot on its tail and the gt thought it would be safe under my kayak!...so in a panic the fish and myself got aquainted real fast and i paddled back:laugh: [img size=318]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00526.jpg

post-180-144598479229_thumb.jpg

the next day..well i think it was the next day..fiji time does weird things to ya head!:P

we had kenna out fiji mate take us to a water fall out in the mountains..we walked along this track for about an hour. mongoose, massive buterflies, weird looking caterpillars and jungle perch kept me entertained...it was truly the best thing i have ever seen in my life..the photos do it no justice to how amazing this place was...i will remember this plae forever...swimming under the waterfall there were hoards of jungle perch.most small but a few that would have went maybe 25cm...i was feeding them these spiky and mean looking caterpillars...wish i took a rod to say i had caught one but still was amazing just be swimming with them.. [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00546.jpg

post-180-144598479249_thumb.jpg

so after we got back from the mountains and sat through yet another storm,(one a day) i went back to the jetty for a quick flick..managed a real dull looking cuda and one gt..got drilled by some bigger fish but they were to big for my little outfit, i had to hold the spool in a attempt not to loose all my line!..and after this session i had only one flick bait left!:ohmy: [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00563.jpg

post-180-144598479256_thumb.jpg

so now im think im up to friday...the resprt was taking out a group of people out to some islands and the boat skipper was a mad keen fisho and runs the charter there too...but we got a deal to come out and pay for the island trip and leave the other tourists snorkelling and stuff wheile we went out fishing...trolling thru the breaks and then the outside of the barrier reef gave us nothing but we soon saw some working birds...the sipper told me a few days before to be sure to bring my little outfit to chase skipjack...and with a bad storm not to far away i was pelting out a popper into the feeding tuna...hook up!...thrown hooks!:angry: hook up!..pulled hooks!:angry: hook up! head shake and thrown hooks:angry: hook up! massive run..thrown hooks!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :angry:

then finally i set the hooks hard in one and i was on....first with head shakes on the surface and then a rund down deep..i have never heard my reel scream so loud...bout a 5min fight and i landed my first skipjack and first tuna on a popper...compared to the gts..the tuna was way faster with its runs but the gt had more staying power and longer runs... [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00585.jpg

post-180-144598479261_thumb.jpg

a few funny moments..

the little village kids watchin ya cast out a popper..and going "whoahhhhh" like they have never seen anyone cast that far!:lol:

or sitting on the grass and watching a mongoose run out and scoff down a heap of cane toads then scurry off:lol:

or the boat skipper borrowing my flick stick and not giving it back for ages!:blink:

Archived