WaterSnake Geospot 65lb - Thoughts??

Noah Fitzpatrick

When i was researching for an electric everything pointed towards Minn Kota - performance, durability, spot lock accuracy. it was the most expensive but it has been 3 years and not one problem yet. The new owner of my boat (my brother) has used it at least once a week for the last 12 months (sometimes 3 times a week!) and it has never skipped a beat. All electric motors are subject to some pretty rough treatment being on the front of your boat doused in saltwater - i have heard the Watersnakes and Motorguides tend to have more issues than the MK.

If you are on a budget look at transom mounting a trolling motor - that would be the cheapest option (but no spot lock capability)

Remember you will need to pay for suitable AGM battery, wiring/andersen plug/fuses and potentially a mount for the electric and battery which can add up.

There are a couple of threads on here about electric installs and issues.

Good luck! 

Where are you going to use it and for what purpose? Is it for moving you around freshwater dams where you are not allowed petrol motors? Are you happy to use an anchor wherever you fish?  Or are you fishing salt water. If it is salt, I would definitely be looking at a unit with spot lock capability. For me, that is by far the most valuable function and you will regret not having it and start saving for a more expensive motor. 
Like most things, you get what you pay for. Don’t rush in, really think about what you want out of the motor and then look at which motor suits that need. I have had more than 3 years of trouble free running with my MK and can’t imagine not having it now. 

14 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Where are you going to use it and for what purpose? Is it for moving you around freshwater dams where you are not allowed petrol motors? Are you happy to use an anchor wherever you fish?  Or are you fishing salt water. If it is salt, I would definitely be looking at a unit with spot lock capability. For me, that is by far the most valuable function and you will regret not having it and start saving for a more expensive motor. 
Like most things, you get what you pay for. Don’t rush in, really think about what you want out of the motor and then look at which motor suits that need. I have had more than 3 years of trouble free running with my MK and can’t imagine not having it now. 

That particular watersnake does have spotlock, but all im reading is bad reviews. Think i might just go with the minn kota and hopefully save myself some troubles.

Just now, Noah Fitzpatrick said:

That particular watersnake does have spotlock, but all im reading is bad reviews. Think i might just go with the minn kota and hopefully save myself some troubles.

Also only fishing in the salt pretty much, around the bay and creeks etc, my tinny has a curved bow which might be a challenge but i should be able to rig something up.

I've had no issues with my Minn Kota - just make sure to wash down with fresh and lubricate as per manufacturer instructions after each use.

I did previously buy a brand new watersnake from BCF but this was over 10 years ago, so probably not relevant. The deploy mechanism failed on that unit (warranty replacement through BCF).

Are you on any particular sounder setup? If I had my time again I would probably also consider motorguide which can integrate with my lowrance setup. The Minn Kota doesn't integrate with Lowrance.

A handy feature on the Minn Kota is Spot-lock Jog (move 5 foot up, down, left, right with push of 1 button) but it's not really a deal breaker - Just very handy.

5 hours ago, Hweebe said:

I've had no issues with my Minn Kota - just make sure to wash down with fresh and lubricate as per manufacturer instructions after each use.

I did previously buy a brand new watersnake from BCF but this was over 10 years ago, so probably not relevant. The deploy mechanism failed on that unit (warranty replacement through BCF).

Are you on any particular sounder setup? If I had my time again I would probably also consider motorguide which can integrate with my lowrance setup. The Minn Kota doesn't integrate with Lowrance.

A handy feature on the Minn Kota is Spot-lock Jog (move 5 foot up, down, left, right with push of 1 button) but it's not really a deal breaker - Just very handy.

Not too fussed on linking the sounder with the elec. will likely pick up a new sounder with sidescan though when i grab the electric. Is there any soldering involved when setting up the wiring? what do i need to get? Ive just got a regular deep cycle 12v battery atm.

On 16/2/2024 at 2:56 PM, Noah Fitzpatrick said:

Yeah mate its a 120 amp. What sort of hardware will i need to grab though?

I did a post on my installation a few years ago, but can’t find it now. Lots of videos on the net. From me the extras I needed were: battery case (cheap one); 60 amp inline fuse; 2 Anderson plugs; 2 waterproof covers for the Anderson plugs; red and black tinned 15 amp power cable; some waterproof solder joiners; heat shrink tubing; liquid electrical tape. I also bought a MK quick release bracket which I haven’t used (yet).

Hope this helps. 

37 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

I did a post on my installation a few years ago, but can’t find it now. Lots of videos on the net. From me the extras I needed were: battery case (cheap one); 60 amp inline fuse; 2 Anderson plugs; 2 waterproof covers for the Anderson plugs; red and black tinned 15 amp power cable; some waterproof solder joiners; heat shrink tubing; liquid electrical tape. I also bought a MK quick release bracket which I haven’t used (yet).

Hope this helps. 

@Old Scaley's post is in this thread. Just scroll down to find his post.

On 17/02/2024 at 3:43 PM, Old Scaley said:

Hope this helps. 

I feel like 15 amp power cable is a typo?

I also installed with:

• inline isolation switch (or you could just plug / unplug the Anderson connections)
  • battery terminal lugs
  • padlock (if wanting to secure trolling motor when using quick release)
  • stainless steel bolts / washers / nuts and bit of silicon between bow mount metal and the washers
  • CTEK /Victronsmart quick connect for the trickle charger
  • Cheap ebay Bluetooth monitor to check remaining battery capacity / charging

I went overboard on the wire guage as i'd read the minn kotas can be at times fickle with voltage drops for longer cable runs.

As @Old Scaley said no soldering required, if you buy the joiners, but because i have a soldering iron already, this is obviously cheaper to strip and solder the wires.

If you buy an inline fuse that can also be switched on / off / reset - you can get away without installing an isolation switch.

Something to consider is if you want to be able to charge the trolling battery with your outboard. I didn't deem this necessary for my fishing sessions.

My boat lives behind a locked gate and under security cameras so I have bolted the minn kota without any quick release mounts, plus it is hard wired to the battery through a 60 amp trip switch.

My charging iv with a Victron 12/17 amp charger though a anderson plug.....you do have to keep an eye on the anderson plugs for corrosion.....i clean mine every 6 weeks or so before it crusts up with corrosion.

If you do not need to remove your electrics I suggest hard wiring everything and do not disconnect....esp sounders...those tiny pins are so prone to damage and quickly die with corrosion.

The less connections that can be exposed to atmosphere the better.

A good idea to dip your connectors on liquid insulation after making the termination....just be sure to clean it off at electrical contact points.