What Size Electric ?

ellicat

Just pricing up the cost to install an electric on Ellicatch.

Looking at which one I'll be getting and I'm not sure if a 54 inch/55lb will be long enough or strong enough on those choppy days with a bit of extra current. I was thinking I may have to go an 80lb to get the longer shaft. This will, of course, be substantially dearer and also require dearer batteries and therefore a harder sell to the Minister for Finance.

Do you think I could get away with the 54 inch ?

Boat is a 4.7 metre Quintrex runabout.

• ellicat changed the title to What Size Electric ?
2 hours ago, Allnighter said:

We all want a longer shaft Brian 🙄

But dont forget... do you really want to be out there if the 55/ 54inch cavitates from the wave height or cant handle the current  anyway?

Minimum of 120ah battery

I would give the boys at Brisbane Yamaha a call for advice, they are long term quinny and minny dealers.

Haha. True.

Not normally, but I'm thinking of occasions when chasing macks in the northern bay and it chops up a bit when spot-locking to throw some slugs.

I guess speaking to Brisbane Yamaha is the way to go. 👍

15 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Haha. True.

Not normally, but I'm thinking of occasions when chasing macks in the northern bay and it chops up a bit when spot-locking to throw some slugs.

I guess speaking to Brisbane Yamaha is the way to go. 👍

They should also have a good idea about the best mounting position on your Quinny. Hopefully supply won’t be an issue but I wouldn’t be surprised if you had to wait for it.

@ellicat do you have enough space at the front for the longer shaft? Otherwise it will be overhanging or hit the runabout windscreen. This may make the decision for you.

How much room in the runabout for 1 or 2 batteries? And don't forget about the weight.

Are you are fairweather fisho? You might get some cavitation  but if it is chasing less of an issue compared to wanting to spot lock on SpotX and the boat drifting out of position.

I'm thinking I will have to do something like this to avoid the windscreen -

electric.png.a5e60e492c044a9e5c6cebb6fb14d6a4.png

I have room on the floor in a compartment in front of the passenger foot well for two batteries (lithium). Shown in red.

I'd mainly be using it for spot-locking, but there are those days chasing macks or approaching schools of tuna in lumpier conditions. Probably like @Allnighter suggested - I shouldn't be out there in those conditions, but it does/will happen occasionally. I guess those days I will do what I do now and use the donk on the back.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Haven't had time to read through yet, but at first glance I foresee a few problems:

1. There is a hole at the top of the roof of your house ......

2. The front door isn't attached to the floor/frame of the house so could fall over ......

3. The beds are on the outside of the house, which apart from being unpractical, would be rather cold in winter ..... not to mention the problem when it rains .......

4. You're pretty carp (see what I did there .....) at drawing ....... 🤪

I’ve warned him to stick to fishing KM, but he won’t listen.

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

I'm thinking I will have to do something like this to avoid the windscreen -

electric.png.a5e60e492c044a9e5c6cebb6fb14d6a4.png

I have room on the floor in a compartment in front of the passenger foot well for two batteries (lithium). Shown in red.

I'd mainly be using it for spot-locking, but there are those days chasing macks or approaching schools of tuna in lumpier conditions. Probably like @Allnighter suggested - I shouldn't be out there in those conditions, but it does/will happen occasionally. I guess those days I will do what I do now and use the donk on the back.

I think you need to concentrate on getting a new boat before you worry about an electric. I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend it is a boat you’ve drawn, which is more than KM did. So here goes:

I wouldn’t take it out in any sort of sea, or even water for that matter, given that you have a gap at the bow funneling water into the boat. 

You have some serious barnacles growing on the port side which, if left unchecked, will eventually sink your boat, so to speak. You have a serious problem at the stern , port side, indicated in red.

Apart from that, I think your artistry is getting better, which wouldn’t be hard.

6 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

@ellicat only other consideration is whether u might be upgrading boats again down the track “never say never” a bigger unit could be easier to transfer across to larger Ellicatch 2

I’m sure that reasoning will go down a treat with the missus when Brian is defending his purchase. 

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

Yeah, I've guesstimated it to be roughly 7k, drive away. I would definitely use it almost every time I went out though.

The smokes and I are on terse terms and may be separating shortly to pursue our own activities.

Is $7k for the standard electric or a fancy self deploy model?

I was thinking about a self deploy/stow model but they are way too expensive. $7K is for the 80lb/60" shaft ($4900), 2 lithium batteries ($1700) and boat mods to fit it. I may end up having someone else to install it which will blow the budget, hence this thread. A 55lb/54" shaft is $3960.