Who uses their leccy motor gyzmos?

Old Scaley

Hi Steve, if by gyzmos you are referring to (steering/spot lock/ speed control) I use all of them! Hahaha, I haven’t yet found the need to over complicate my style of fishing with all the other wizardry these things are capable of, sure they can do some interesting things, but let’s be real, its just a glorified anchor for most of us, with the ability to reposition with relative ease.

ps, don’t you go worrying about what the “cool kids” are into, save your 400 bucks and just run your own race 😀

Hey @Old Scaley save the $400.

I'll admit I like my gadgets and like to try every feature/function in the manual.

You are correct the only feature that i can tell that uses the heading sensor is the spot-lock jog and the ability to do this quickly with the remote.

image.png.2b73fc4f22b4f3d397355c0c86d10c8b.png

You can achieve the same as the above by manually steering / adjusting thrust to your desired position it just may take a few more buttons to move the boat around and re-spot lock. As far as i can tell the heading sensor isn't required for anything else on the minn kota.

I have used itrack before and will definitely be using that again. Great for working a rock wall or specific underwater feature or line that you like to work. I recommend this if you have a specific line / path you like to work plastics on.

The other feature i will be using is cruise control for my whiting fishing, where i like the drift to be a certain speed of ground sometime the natural drift may be too slow (slack tide) so cruise control will get my drift speed over ground and moving bait just perfect.

Otherwise 90% of the reason i go the leccy was for spot lock - keep it simple.

29 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I could easily live without the jog feature, but I did use it a couple of times yesterday to move us closer to the mark and it was convenient. I wouldn't pay $400 to have it though.

So, you didn’t choose it as an option when you bought your motor? Was it part of the package?

Not sure until tomorrow I can see its benefits and I think if you had the i-pilot link to a hummingbird sounder that it would be a must but not worth $400 without. 

Usefull offshore or fishing canals where you want to move a few meters,or chasing flatties and want to move spots along a bank.

If it was an option I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

One thing I have read that it does is hold your orientation on spot lock position in windy/strong current conditions. That being the gps in your electric is a single point so you can be oriented any way but if you have the second gps position it knows where the electric is and tries to keep the line between the two constant. Having never had an electric before this I don’t know if this has improved my spotlock beyond yours Steve but my spotlock is unreel

In theory, without the second gps locator /heading sensor you can swing the boat 360 degrees and the electric can stay in the same gps position. But not with the two talking to each other as they keep the angle/heading between the two the same. 
in practice I think that with the heading sensor the motor adjusts its position sooner and with less movement therefore you maintain your orientation better. 
is this worth $400? Up to you Steve 

1EFBA13D-4DE2-413C-B30B-D369C26B937E.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

In theory, without the second gps locator /heading sensor you can swing the boat 360 degrees and the electric can stay in the same gps position. But not with the two talking to each other as they keep the angle/heading between the two the same. 
in practice I think that with the heading sensor the motor adjusts its position sooner and with less movement therefore you maintain your orientation better. 
is this worth $400? Up to you Steve 

1EFBA13D-4DE2-413C-B30B-D369C26B937E.jpeg

Move over @GregOug, we have a new Banksy among us. Andrew, what you are saying makes perfect sense. When @ellicat and I were out on Thursday we were spotlocked at change of tide. When the tide changed the heading of the boat stayed the same, so lines were heading to the bow not the stern. With my unit without the sensor, I am pretty sure the boat would have swung with the tide. 

I was never really contemplating buying a sensor - more just interested in whether people use all the capabilities of their electrics. A bit like sonar/gps units, but that is a different topic.

35 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Move over @GregOug, we have a new Banksy among us. Andrew, what you are saying makes perfect sense. When @ellicat and I were out on Thursday we were spotlocked at change of tide. When the tide changed the heading of the boat stayed the same, so lines were heading to the bow not the stern. With my unit without the sensor, I am pretty sure the boat would have swung with the tide. 

I was never really contemplating buying a sensor - more just interested in whether people use all the capabilities of their electrics. A bit like sonar/gps units, but that is a different topic.

I guess if you haven’t got it you don’t miss it but if you have it you use it and don’t know what it’s like without it

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I think the main problem with an electric is the same one as you have without an electric. In order to catch fish, you actually have to be within casting range of a fish!

Pro tip. If you charge the battery before you go out they work a lot better... 

I have the motor guide. I don't rate it at all except it has a track/heading thing where you can set it to continue heading in the direction you are traveling in. Perfect for running along casting to the snags in a creek or a rockwall. 

On 20/08/2022 at 5:06 PM, Andrew_P said:

One thing I have read that it does is hold your orientation on spot lock position in windy/strong current conditions. That being the gps in your electric is a single point so you can be oriented any way but if you have the second gps position it knows where the electric is and tries to keep the line between the two constant. Having never had an electric before this I don’t know if this has improved my spotlock beyond yours Steve but my spotlock is unreel

That's interesting to hear, I don't have a reference point to confirm but as far as i could tell with my first water test on Saturday, my heading was similar to those at anchor nearby, not sure if with or without heading sensor makes a difference

On 20/08/2022 at 5:46 PM, Leeroy said:

The spotlock is so much better from my first use this morning. It definitely holds the boat straighter with less swinging the stern around. Very impressive. 

Keen to see how it goes offshore. 

The challenge is working out whether this is because of the new motor or the addition of the heading sensor or a combination of both?

On 20/08/2022 at 6:09 PM, Old Scaley said:

Very interesting, will need to be at a single spot longer for a tide change to experiment. 

However if this is the case, I can't think of what remote buttons would be used to adjust your heading whilst at spot lock?

I'm imaging a scenario like yours where i need to adjust the boat heading so the lines are out the back of the boat instead being pushed back under the boat.

So I tested the spot jog feature on the weekend over at amity banks where there was about 10 boats in close as the whiting were in a tight patch.

@Old Scaley

Pros - the spot log jog allowed for some precise adjustment of boat position without the need to think about wind / current / motor speed / motor heading. Makes moving about 2m forward, back, left, right very easy whilst keeping your heading the same.

Of course you can do this all manually yourself but you have to account for current / speed / motor heading / other boats in your vicinity in case you over adjust or swing the boat wildly trying to get to the correct spot.

Spot log jog will be very helpful where there is strong wind / current - I think it will be helpful for beacon bashing.

Judgement call on whether $400 is value but now that i know it can do it and it came with the motor, I probably would get the heading sensor.

Since you fish mostly weekdays and there are not that many boats around and you can take your time to get you positioning right I'd just continue trying it out on another AFO members boat to see if you really like / need it.

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

Since you fish mostly weekdays and there are not that many boats around and you can take your time to get you positioning right I'd just continue trying it out on another AFO members boat to see if you really like / need it.

That’s a great idea Hweebe! Could someone buy a Stejcraft ss64 (it doesn’t have to be green and black necessarily), fit it out with a leccy motor, trial it extensively and give a detailed report on whether it works well on the 64 please? Please include photos, architectural drawings (no sketch drawings please. I’ve seen the standard of members drawings on here) and final costings. Of course, if any good new marks are discovered during testing I would consider these my intellectual property and expect these to be included in the final report.

Thanks in advance

Greg

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Pro tip. If you charge the battery before you go out they work a lot better... 

I have the motor guide. I don't rate it at all except it has a track/heading thing where you can set it to continue heading in the direction you are traveling in. Perfect for running along casting to the snags in a creek or a rockwall. 

What don't you like about your motorguide? 

On 22/08/2022 at 1:11 PM, STKE said:

What don't you like about your motorguide? 

It doesn't lock down very well. Takes ages to click it in.

The paint has all come off the housing for the motor.

The gps glitches out quite a bit and takes you for a run.

I have had to take it back for warranty stuff when it wouldn't boot up. 

That sort of thing. 

I have a Motorguide on my creek boat. The only gizmos that I use or think is valuable are:

Spot Lock, works really well, unless you are under a bridge and it can't see the satellites, mine lost its connections, got confused & took off on me, crashed hard into a bridge pylon.

Jog Feature to move in steps 1.5m, I love this when you just need to adjust to get the right spot

I tried using the heading feature when trolling for barra, but it's useless. It's meant to keep you going on the same heading, but ended wiggling my way across the flats like a drunk was in control.

THe others i cant find any use for