It's alive - Trolling Motor Install

Hweebe

Paint job done - not the best with some of the grinder swirls still visible but does the job

mount.jpg.16a39fcf0870e235392ba342c5964baa.jpg

Quick connect socket - Drilling a hole into your boat regardless of location is always unnerving.

The socket was an atwood (amazon) brand rated for 60Amp. Decided to use this instead of Andersen plugs that are only 50 Amp and not really suited for salty / marine exposure.

Max current draw was 56 Amp on the Minn Kota so the Andersen plugs would have been under rated

Sikaflex used to seal the hole and keep water out (overkill)

1435183360_femaleplug.jpg.846c964e5fdaf31bc2f326dadb53dbb2.jpg

This is inside the cab on the other side where there is cabin shelf/storage. I ran 8AWG for a short 1.5m run to the battery stored under the bunks.

988578255_Pluginsidecab.jpg.dc31d54e1421977bd48c72caf0f0f380.jpg

In-line circuit breaker was a simple addition to the positive line. 60Amp rating with manual reset.

1521524983_circuitbreaker.jpg.1142b011ec8563c1b5347ebb894bab4b.jpg

Overall rating for the job - Simple.

I didn't take any photos of the heading sensor install - hard wired / fused to 12v to the console back panel.

The installation manual did not have any specific requirements for switches or triggers.

20 hours ago, ellicat said:

So true !

Neat job. How long did you spend on it ?

Paint Job - Area prep and etch primer 30min + 15m + 15m (2 x topcoat) = 1 hr

Female plug - Hole saw, debur, sikaflex, ciruit breaker inline, solder the wire joins, crimp lugs to battery connection = 1.5hr

Male plug (to trolling motor) -  Solder the wire joins, heatshrink, flexible hosing = 30 mins

Heading sensor - Install to roof hard top (screw and sika), 3m wire run to 12v source, flexible hosing for wires exposed to UV, wire to bus bar / fuses = 1hr

Pair / test heading and trolling motor - 10 mins

Give or take 4hrs with a lot of slacking around on the job / smoko breaks. I had all parts purchased or ready before the install. Wiring was just from scrap 8awg i had lying around / hoarded waiting for a use so I saved some money there. 

All up just on $5.1k for a complete ulterra trolling setup. (2nd hand motor, el cheapo lithium, bow mount and consumables (paint, wiring, circuit breakers, plugs, lugs)