Set lines laws in tidal waters?

werewolf

Can anyone tell me what the regulations are in regards to setlines in tidal waters?

The DPI says about fishing lines in freshwater: "A person must not set a fishing line as a cross-line or use more than six fishing lines or set lines alone or in combination. Only one hook or an artificial fly or lure can be attached to a fishing line. Anyone using a set line must be no more than 200 m from the line." From http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3023_ENA_HTML.htm Which is pretty clear that you can use up to 6 set lines, set within 200 m from you, in a non tidal area!

But what is the rules in tidal waters? The tidal water link: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3045_ENA_HTML.htm says about fishing gear: "In tidal waters, up to three fishing lines with up to six hooks in total (in any configuration) are permitted. An artificial #y or lure is deemed to be equal to one hook." And amusingly the picture on the tidal page shows set lines lol.

Can anyone clear this up? I want to target me some shark bait (eels) using a setline method I used when I was a kid. My first choice is in a particular tidal area but I want to know the rules first. My backup is in a freshwater creek near me that is non-tidal so I could use set lines if I want (as per the above rules). Can anyone help?

I would personally avoid using set lines at all costs. In fact i just outright would not.

Reason: no sport plus even if you are after a feed, if you hook something on a set line that is undersize or vermin etc, chances are its probably going to die.

Not an answer sorry just an opinion.

Angus

jeff f wrote:

you have to realise that any line not in your hand is considered a set line

so a rod in a rod holder is a set line

True. Good point Jeff.

Its amazing that those who dont quite abide by these rles dont get pinged more at NP! Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Angus

Angus wrote:

I would personally avoid using set lines at all costs. In fact i just outright would not.

Reason: no sport plus even if you are after a feed, if you hook something on a set line that is undersize or vermin etc, chances are its probably going to die.

Not an answer sorry just an opinion.

Angus

Fair enough opinion mate.B)

I'm interested in the set line method only to target eel, and we would be nearby in the kayaks (you have to be within 200 m) so if anything unwanted was hooked it could be released straight away. If I'm allowed to do it in the fresh, then I will as described above.

Very keen to find out more about Jeff's point though too ( of all rod holder's being classed as set lines). Guys fishing for sharks of beachs etc, or even jew and tailor, people propping up rods on jetties or with rod holders or in boats and even myself in rivers would all fall under the same banner. What about trolling with the rod in the holder?:blink:

jeff f wrote:

dont take this as gospel because i cant find the papers to back it up but i think the rule is 6 in fresh and there is no limmit in the salt as long as you are there with them

its only set and abandon come back the next day that is illeagle

Hi all,

I don`t want to start a poo fight,

my interpretation of the rule is, one is allowed a maximum of 3 lines in tidal waters,nowhere in the rules does it say and/or set lines/or a combined combination of lines.

Just my opinion,cheers

Opinions are welcome, that is why I started the thread to try and find out exactly what the regs are. Everyone has taken it in the spirit that it was intended so far so that has been great. Hopefully everyone can learn something about the topic other than basing an opinion on "my old man said setlines are the devil" or "its okay my bro does it" etc.

I also do not agree with the bad old days of lining rivers with setlines and leaving them overnight etc.

BTW - if I was to use this method I have no interest in leaving a line unattended and would be closely monitored from my yak (within 200 m as stipulated). The whole idea is to find out if it is allowed (legal) such that I can target eel. As shown in the links above, it is completely legal in the fresh (lines must be labelled and angler must be within 200m) but the question mark is whether it is allowed in tidal waters (as I would like to try for an eel in this manner at Colleges, but if it is illegal in tidal areas, I will not do it).

I also have been in email contact from the DPI area manager. His first reponse was a big vague, so I'll try and confirm the details and post them back on here.

Also in consideration of the difference in the terminology between a set line and a line, I think so far as the regs go the DPI consideres them one and the same (made very clear in the freshwater link). I'll post back when I have more info.

Thanks everyone for not going on the attack as it is a sensitive topic that everyone has an opinion on. I'll find out the truth and share it when I do!

Cheers werewolf,

thats what it all about,asking,sharing and gaining knowledge with each other.

Yea,I tried to get a clear answer from fisheries,but put the phone down after being passed on to 3 people who weren`t sure,but the next person should know.

Archived