report: colleges - Sun 15th Feb 09

username_taken

Woke up this morning to a beautiful blue sky so decided to celebrate with a sneakyfish. Got to colleges around 6:30am and starting fishing. Had some mullet fillets that I was using for bait. I caught a bunch of tiddler bream and had to upgrade hook size as they were swallowing my size 6 hooks.

I found a single long shank hook ( stolen from angus the other weekend ) which worked a treat and caught a bunch more tiddlers on the other side of the bridge and finally a legal bream at 25cm.

Caught about a dozen turtles, most of which unhooked themselves, but had to dehook 3 or 4 of them.

No catfish or tilapia, just breambos.

Headed home happy at about midday. Didn't bother taking photos of them as everyone has seen bream.

Me and the missus went down on Sunday. A little late in the day (about 1PM) and just wanted to have a fish. We read about Colleges Crossing and the other places that you guys go so we decided not to fish our normal spot which was at the Centenary bridge park at Jindalee.

Missus caught a nice small flatty (about 30cm) and a little eel (can't say which one though) and released em both. I also caught a nice legal sized bream but we didn't catch enough fish for a feed so we released it.

Definitely gonna try Colleges again this Sunday but probably a nice dawn or dusk session this time.

Is there any recommendations for what bait to use? We used good old prawns and that seemed to get the fish biting, but at times we would go without anything after about 10 or so casts.

BTW, Love the forums!!

Thanks Jeff :)

I don't have a net, but will in invest in one. There was a guy that rocked up with his daughter and was throwing bread into the banks and catching little fish for his aquarium. I think he was referring to the fish as "blue eyes".

I may also try some mullet strips to see how that goes. I'll post the report for this coming Sunday and let you know how we go.

Archived