electric or petrol?

Davo_Dinkum

ok i got a 12 foot tinny its a light 1

the question is i need a new motor

trying to work the pro and cons of electric or petrol

electric will be about 54 lb salt water i guess

petrol will be 3.5 or 4 hp motor

i'm going this size cause i don't want to bother with rego

it will be used in dams ,creeks mostly around kooka maybe further down the river but only close to the bank with that kind of low hp.

they seam about the same cost with in a few hundred $

or should i just get my 4 hp petrol and one of those cheap 120$ 18 lb electric for when i go to no petrol motor dams

will the 18 lb push the tinny ?

ty for any info or your thaughts

I grew up with a 7 foot boat that I used to bash around in Cabbage Tree Creek. First I used to row it, then I borrowed a small electric, then I eventually bought a 3.3HP with an inbuilt fuel tank. I took a 5 litre jerry can with me where ever I went, and I'd roughly say I could get 20-30 hours running time on 5 litres of fuel. With help from a friend in another boat, I clocked my boat with me, fishing gear and the motor at full pace at 12 knots. Not bad considering.

With this in mind, I'd strongly recommend a petrol engine, purely for space and simplicity. Electrics are good, especially the big ones but the batteries that go with them are heavy, awkward spacing in the boat and don't have the torque indefinitely of a petrol(I got stuck one time with my electric and an outgoing tide running at about 6 knots, I had to row with the electric on full bore just to get anywhere. Of course you wont get these on the bigger electrics, but they'll drain your battery quicker.)

The only advantages I see with electrics is that they're quieter and you can get into some dams and lakes that don't allow petrol powered boats.

But it's up to you Davo, if you are going to go with an electric, I'd strongly recommend a good(the more expensive the better) battery charger. I have a front mounted electric, and the only dramas(and there's been a few) I've had with it over the years, is power supply and chargers saying a battery is full, and it either not having a charge or it dies 20 minutes into the fishing trip.

Good luck!

ty for the input guys

well think i go the petrol

not keen on rowing and have a electric running to go against current

and get a canoe for the non motor dams and a electric for it maybe laters i can always paddle it about for a while the exercise would hurt either i guess :blink:

from the prices is seen so far the petrol is the cheaper option unless u buy a cheap elect

what elect has rayke got on his ?

deep cycle batt not a prob as the 4x4 has 1 as a second for the fridge

guess i would have to get a 54 lb 1 got move my ass and another person and all the crap

think the elect can be a ron thing also with the elect would prob run a solar panel mounted on canopy depend on stability etc just a thought

only payed 150$ for boat and trailer so new the motor side would me about a 1g

Dave, My lake /creek tinnie ia a 315 quinnie with a 4hp yammy for creeks and a40 lb riptide for dams and salt creeks when required. I've also kept my old 36lb riptide that I bought in 95 as a bracketed bow mount. Judge foryourself what you want to do but I suggest you DON'T waste your money on the 18....save up for a larger elect.:cheer:

Archived