Friday morning frustration.

superstryda

As I am yet to catch my first thready and I have got the day off I decided to go for a fish this morning. Got to Newstead just after 6, 2 casts of the net and I got a couple of prawns, so onto my livie rig 1 went. Nothing on that one so on goes the other, this 1 was out for a while with nothing so I wound it in, checked it was still kicking and out again. The wind was picking up so I was almost gonna head off when I saw my line go extremely slack, something picked it up and must've been coming towards me. :) I grabbed my rod, slowly tightened the line(using circles so didn't want to strike) and I was on! It had a bit of weight to it and went for a couple of small runs so I wound up the drag a bit and started making some good ground. Got most of my line in so it must have been close when kick kick zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz then nothing, bloody thing busted me, about 6 inches above my hook. :angry: Straight on with another hook and another prawn and back out again but just to add to my frustration things went quiet after that. :( Oh well, I'll keep trying though, atleast I wasn't at work.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what this fish was?? I caught a 59cm flatty there last friday and this felt nothing like it, i'm thinking Thready, Jew or Stingray???

Anyway, another donut for breakfast. :angry:

when you say a bit jagged was it kind of like a rough "cut" or did it feel all rasped including above where it was broken off?

50lb should be good enough although i have had close calls on 60lb on threadies, 6 inches down it may have been a case of a thready swallowing your bait right down therefore putting alot of pressure on the line where it comes out of the mouth. though usually i can tell by feeling the leader, when a thready comes up the line is abraded and rasped for a good while, not really a jagged cut?

what were the runs like, long and powerful or short and plentiful, and the headshakes, big and powerful or kinda short and sharp?

a few times we have been busted off by fish that leave a jagged cut on the leader and i suspect they are massive pike eels, which in my experience give short sharp runs and short sharp headshakes and inbetween feel like a lump of bricks

whereas the threadies give big powerful kicks and go on longer runs

Maybe it wasn't a thready then, it was only short sharp runs and head shakes until i'd almost got it in, the run that busted me was by far the longest and hardest run, maybe it was a big pike eel, didn't think of that and I have seen some monsters pulled out of the river just never experienced one myself. The leader wasn't really raspy, apart from the rough cut there wasn't really any other damage that I noticed. I guess i'll never know for sure but you might be right on the eel. Have you got onto any threadies recently nadders? That one in your profile pic is a horse, I may have to tag along with you sometime if thats possible, landbased of course, until I get my boat.

havent got one landbased for a while, i have been out in the boat myself lol. we got a couple maybe 2 or 3 weeks after the flood? bit quiet the last 2 trips out though

might head on down to bretts tonight mate seeing as my boat is at coorparoo marine right now

Yeah I was going to go back to Newstead to have another crack but if your going to Bretts I might head there and introduce myself if its not too crowded. Always good to meet keen anglers and possibly pick up some tips ;) , none of my mates seem as keen as me. What time you heading out? or should I pm you?

We were off the pontoon near the citycat stop from 6 - 8.45pm, would've stayed longer but the rain started to really come down and I wasn't prepared for wet weather, that and all we were getting was catfish, oh and I almost landed a nice muddy, nothing else seemed to be biting.

Yeah I noticed that the rain had stopped, just after I got home and unloaded the car :(

Nice job on the bream tho, i'm usually at bretts or newstead on fridays, i'm the guy with a dark blue beanie and all my gear on a little fold up trolley, definately say hi if you see me.

superstryda wrote:

Yeah I noticed that the rain had stopped, just after I got home and unloaded the car :(

Nice job on the bream tho, i'm usually at bretts or newstead on fridays, i'm the guy with a dark blue beanie and all my gear on a little fold up trolley, definately say hi if you see me.

superstryda, i think i was sitting next to you last tuesday night (a week and a half ago) on the pontoon at newstead, me and two mates and then they left and it was just me and you, you wandered over the other side and fished breaky creek for a while, i left about 230am and you were still down there. thanks for the help with the tangles if it was!

Archived